Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice Road Story Jack! Great Pictures! Glad you and your lady friend had a good time despite the flat. You kind of look like you could get used to that bike!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ummmmmm. Why didn't you pack a can of Sealin'Air and a tire repair strip kit? You'd have been back on the road in a few minutes.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
You might want to keep a Stop and Go Tire plugger kit on hand for your road trips. I keep one in the side compartment of my Geezer Glide.

Of course adding the RV/motorcycle option to your AAA coverage for an extra $22 is a nice bonus as well.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Nice Story!

Regarding the flat kit. It has been unscientifically proven that nails are repelled by flat kits. If one is carried on the bike, odds are it will never be used. But, don't leave home without it!

One is also inclined to believe a similar relationship exists between rain gear and precipitation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Concerning your desire for self cancelling turn signals and the lack of turn signal indicators. If you refer to page 58 of the owner's manual you will find that your Victory does have self cancelling turn signals. Oh, by the way , the indicators for the turn signals are just above the high beam and nuetral lights -- go look again, there are idiot lights ..... too bad there are idiots that can't see them !

·
Registered
107 Posts
In June, my Valky's alternator died outside a small Ohio town, 60 miles from home. I've had AAA for 15 or so years, but no bike/RV coverage. I call them, explain I don't have the coverage but I just want them to send a truck and I'll pay full price. They couldn't find one. Glad I didn't pay $22 for that kind of coverage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try looking into the allstate motor club. They cover bikes, and will tow to the nearst authorized dealer.

I got them after losing the fuel pump on a BMW in Bryce Canyon and discovered my tow ins. only covered me for a $100.

I ended up getting the BMW towed to Salt Lake City, $500, gotta love credit cards. so after this little piece of travel, I looked into other tow ins, and think All State offer's the best.

Fuel pump's reason I got rid of the BMW and pick up a Connie.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's why one should forget wire rims (the damn things have a tube) and stay with the tubeless mags. One plug kit and a couple of co/2 bottles and you're on the road. Better yet. strip down a small air compressor from Wal-Mart( 10 bucks and it can fit under the seat) add a electrical plug to your battery and forget the co/2!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I tend to agree with you. Another item that has this mysterious effect is jumper cables.

Anyone know of a set small enough for a bike. Usually had to bump start, or fit the FAT auto style cable onto the teenie weenie bike battery terminals. The one trick I tried (and it did not work) was a cheepo cigarette lighter jumper (it was suposed to go lighter to lighter for cars). I cut off one plug and put some small clips on the wires. The one time I tried them, The lighter fuse in the car blew.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only question is, could they find someone, even a company not affiliated with them, to tow a bike? AAA couldn't, but then the brain donor I spoke with was only looking in the rural county I was towing FROM, not the somewhat more populous county I was towing TO. I ended up calling places myself who would only haul wrecked bikes, because they didn't want to scratch anything.

On a semi-related note, how rare is it for a dealership to not have a truck/trailer for bikes, or at least a short list of companies willing to haul one? I called all 3 local dealerships, made it clear that if they towed it they got the business, and none could help me out. Why don't dealerships get an S-10 and a low trailer? You could basically have high school kids on spring break do the hauling. Or even rent the thing out to riders in need.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for throwing us a bone, MO.

LOL, you've obviously been sitting on this story because it hasn't been t-shirt riding weather for quite a while.
That, plus the author's narrative: "Waiting in the blazing sun for an hour and a half..."
Thanks for throwing us a bone, MO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stop & Go Tire plugger works great (no affiliation yada,yada) but ya gotta have a tubeless for any kinda roadside fix.....he had a spoked wheel.

This is the reason I switched over to only mags years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Amen to the Stop and Go, but even a $6 crude poker kit from any auto shop would do to get you to civilization. Add a CO2/pump combo and off you go after a few minutes...guess you guys don't think about these things? I don't either when I'm just around town...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.