Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Found this today and thought it was pretty cool. They only made two of these behemoths, but can you imagine if they had gone through with it on a larger scale?
Motorcycle history is fascinating. Like cars, their history reflect on the wider society that produced and used them. That's one reason I like Matt's articles so much (when he gets around to writing them!!).

There are parts of the story that don't make sense to me. They said the bike failed in great part because there weren't tires that could take the weight and power. Yet the bike is said to weigh 500 pounds; that doesn't seem much more than a contemporary HD. It also said the bike made 100 hp...that's a lot for '63, but it seems like there had to have been others putting out comparable power.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Motorcycle history is fascinating. Like cars, their history reflect on the wider society that produced and used them. That's one reason I like Matt's articles so much (when he gets around to writing them!!).

There are parts of the story that don't make sense to me. They said the bike failed in great part because there weren't tires that could take the weight and power. Yet the bike is said to weigh 500 pounds; that doesn't seem much more than a contemporary HD. It also said the bike made 100 hp...that's a lot for '63, but it seems like there had to have been others putting out comparable power.
No, there wasn't a bike you could get that made over maybe 50hp. A 750 Norton or a Sportster was it. Those might see 50 on a good day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These guys convert Ducatis into choppers: Home
Hey thanks for that, Trent, that's cool.

Kenneth_Moore
Quote:

Yeah I'm a huge fan of American History in general, and just researching anything that I hold near and dear to me. Ducati was really inventive/crazy back in the day, as evidenced by their experimental go cart

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Yeah I'm a huge fan of American History in general, and just researching anything that I hold near and dear to me. Ducati was really inventive/crazy back in the day, as evidenced by their experimental go cart
Me too! It was my favorite subject in school and college.

From the 1946 Ducati cart article:

this engine was a 90° L-twin cylinder and the frame was designed with trellis tubes - both just like the Ducatis of today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.