Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Please forgive me if I don't get the whole BMW "thing". I guess it's sort of like preferring a certain American V-twin.

Compared to other bikes, especially off-road, these things are overweight, overpriced and don't have enough gears in the transmission.

Get a KTM.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I don't get it either. A riding buddy of mine owns 6 BMWs. They spend far more time being repaired than my 5 mostly ancient Japanese bikes. The quality reputation isn't even true. It's just a holdover from the 60's.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I just attended a demo day for KTM. The regional rep said that, including dirt bikes, KTM is now the largest selling European motorcycle manufacturer in the US. It's second in Europe.

BMW also just recently debuted a competition off-road mount Here's a link to photos:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209571&highlight=enduro

With the release of some highly touted street bikes, (read the Superduke write up in CW this month?) KTM is challenging BMW. BMW is stepping up with interesting new models. This is WAR!

It's a great time to buy a new bike!

·
Registered
29 Posts
These engines are not maintenance whores like KTM. (I have owned a KTM) That Rotax 650 is proven reliable and has a great service life. checked these out at a local dealer. They really are great quality. The plastic is substantial and does not feel cheap.

Seat was far better then any KTM and all quality components. You need to see these in person to appreciate the details. KTM's are off road competition bikes, the BMW is a duel sport trail bike.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I'm a little to old for the "Xtreme" thing.... I think the F 800 ST will be a fun and practical bike and of course with 800's soon the be the dominant size in motorcycling it's ahead of the curve as it were.

All BMW needs to do is teach the great unwashed that a "little" 800 is going to be quicker and better handling than there 1800cc 1000 lb.boat anchor and they'll sell like hot cakes.

Maybe they should have Peter Fonda and Jay Leno ride around on them at the intro so the sheep will see it's ok to have one

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
FWIW, "hard enduro" is a term used in Germany to differentiate real off-road bikes from street oriented DS bikes like KLR650s, XT600s etc. These are referred to as "soft enduros". Really.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
But is it really worth 9+ large? There are lots of other options out there at a much lower cost.

Hope to ride an X-Challenge this weekend. We'll see if it's better than an XR650L.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
"The Xcountry also spins gleefully down pavement or dirt on a set of spoked rims. The front measures 19 inches and carries a 100/90-19 tire while the rear is a 17-incher with a 130/80-18 tire attached."

How do you get an 18" tire on a 17" rim?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I love BMW motorcycles, really I do. But just sold my last one and will wait for a good used one to come by because it seems that the M in BMW stands for Money (servicing is insanely expensive, at least for the big K) and kinda proves the saying, "the only thing cheap about a BMW is the owner"... Nice bikes though, if I were in the market for that kinda thing. Seem a bit pricey in typical Beemer fashion...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Good catch on that one, boys. Yes indeedy if I weren't trying to squeeze something creative out of every inch of my tiny head I might have caught that after the sixth or so read thru.

Perhaps we'll just cut our losses and just start posting in OEM spec sheets as stories.

Cheers, Pete

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.