Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ashby was wearing a heavy gage helmet, a heavy leather jacket, lined leather gloves, new blue jeans and leather riding boots.

Ashby suffered six broken ribs, muscle damage in his left shoulder, a bleeding spleen, knee lacerations and deep general bruising.

Seems to me he would have been much better off if he would be wearing full leathers or Aerostich Roadcrafter. Or at least some riding pants and riding jacket (his jacket on the picture doesn't seem to have any sort of armor).

Good thing he stayed alive and relatively OK, though. Any gear is better than no gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had he been going 60, he might have missed the deer altogether...

As for the gear he was wearing, he probably would have been better off with some armor as mentioned above; but a lot of his injuries are probably as much a product of his age as his lack of armor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From the sounds of it his deer population is out of control maybe a new hunting season would help. He is right about cringing ever time we see a kid with not lid no nothing on and a yound girl on the back cause you know that is really going to hurt.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Lookin' like a good time to replace the ST he used to ride. Glad he's alright. Sucks to hit large animals. Been there.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
It would have taken a few seconds longer to put on a heavy armored jacket and therefore he would have started out later and the deer would have already been across the road before he got there.

Had he missed the deer he would have been hit head-on a few miles later by a wildly careening ZX6 anyhow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hit a deer when I was a newbie. I thought I'd be more prepared next time.

Then, mnay years later, a deer collission killed my riding idol, Larry Grodsky.

If they can get him, they can get me, you or anyone else.

Deer are a riding-risk-wild-card that are very difficult, if not impossible to prepare for, and there's no panacea to be found.

I guess for some fate comes erratically and mindlessly wearing antlers.

·
Registered
514 Posts
a lot of the local dualsport crowd are wearing gear that offers both abrasion resistance and armor (including chest protectors) modeled after offroad gear

I think my next investment in saving my hide is going to be two piece perforated leathers sized so I can fit something like a full Bohn system underneath

riding fast on logging roads is fun but those redwoods can hurt if you happen to brush up against one

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I hit a deer 5 years ago on my Magna. It's head struck my right knee at about 60mph after glancing off the tank. Hurt like hell but all I did was swerve into the left lane and keep going. The deer wasn't so lucky. Needless to say I had a bit of a limp for a few days and even now sometimes still hurts.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm sure he would have been better off without that silly helmet too.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Whatever works.

·
Registered
780 Posts
"Had he been going 60, he might have missed the deer altogether..."

Ditto for traveling at 20mph, but I fear you are missing my point.

When you come to a sudden stop the organs in your body keep on moving causing rupturing of said internal organs due to the presence transiently increasing intraluminal pressure … (man this copy&paste make me sound smart). Sure body armor would save you chest a little, but it wouldn’t stop your kidneys, liver, spleen etc. etc. from exploding when you go from 60 to zero in two inches. Best is to slow down as much as possible before impact.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.