Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: A Respectable Request From a Non-Rider?

As much as I agree with the author of this report, I can't say a word. Because, I've been as guilty as anyone here of owning loud bikes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Life savers!

Doesn't the writer know all the good these people are doing when they're out riding? everybody knows that loud pipes save lives- these people aren't scofflaws or miscreants; they're heroes! they're out there saving lives!!!

I think i just heard another hero pass by my house. [email protected]#$ing heroes!

·
Registered
285 Posts

One (potentially) incorrrect assumption by the writer is that Ego is the root reason for loud pipes.

What if the rider just thinks they sound cool? I agree that the rider has rights to do pretty much anything UP TO AND UNITL IT INTERFERES WITH ANOTHER PERSONS QUALITY OF LIFE.

We as a society do need to have a little respect, especially with respect to our driving habits in residential areas, etc., etc.

But loud pipes do sound cool.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, wrong and misguided though they may be.....

I mean, the chick that wrote this article probably doesn't care for great big fake boobies on strippers, either!

It's all a matter of perspective.

Shiny side up!

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts

I think he's is right. Iv'e been riding for 20 years and The staight pipes are becoming stupid loud. I passed a guy today and my chest started to vibrate at the light. I don't mind something thats louder but it getting ridiculous. Just leep it in control. Half these idiot take out the baffles and then saw 4 or 5 inches of the end. Them there surprized when they do get pulled over.

·
Registered
466 Posts
noise level is following rise in engine cc's

There have always been loud pipes but they get louder every year as the manufacturers race to one-up each other in maximum V-twin displacement. I blame society.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

I blame the police. In this, as with any regulation, if the rules are not enforced there are always people who will take advantage. Imagine you´d get away of not paying taxes.

Why they let this happen is because of their conspiracy of turning the people against the bikers, who basically are narcs, pimps, unemployed and other criminals.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
5 Posts

i like how the cops will pull a car over with a lightly modified exhaust and hassle that driver as a big v-twin drives by and breaks your eardrum

·
Registered
173 Posts

I have to agree that this is an ego thing. It just "sounds cool"? C'mon. My race bike is subject to noise regualtions, (the track is on publically owned land), but that fact doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on my fun - or my ability to go fast. My race bike at full song is nowhere near as loud as a "loud pipe" big twin ( mostly Harleys). A new t-shirt is in order "Loud pipes - small D**K!" Maybe that will work.

It is a minority of folks ( mainly Harley riders) who are sdcrewing it all up for the rest of us.

I have been riding for 30+ years and I really dislike loud pipes.

I think that some of those Harleys are louder than MotoGP bikes and slower than my mother's car.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Then what will the 'small d*ck' ones among us do ? I really don't want to have to take the enhancement pills! The loud pipes did indeed work and without any side effects, until now.

It ain't my fault I have a small d*ck.

AFLAC

·
Registered
780 Posts
Couple of bizarre posts ... again

Again the anti-harley crowd are spouting their mouths off, giving credence to the saying that empty vessels make the most noise.

After an article by Fred Rau was posted by MO, the only posters that actually admitted to riding with straight pipes were ricers. Not one Harley rider (that I know of) indicated that they use straight (or loud) pipes.

A couple of highly naïve individuals (all of them ricers) actually went as far as to say their pipes are ok because they are only "loud at high revs". A couple of numbskulls thought that their noisy pipes were ok because "my bike makes real power".

No, simply because your bike makes over 100 hp when it is loud, does not draw admiration from the public. And no, nobody is impressed that you break both speed limits and noise limits at the same time. They still consider you a noisy a$$hole and a danger to other road users. They are correct on both counts.

Yes, it is true a couple of riders are ruining it for everybody. Sadly, the guilty parties are so busy pointing their fingers at others that they are blissfully unaware that they are part of the problem.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Re: noise level is following rise in engine cc's

"I hope the next time you hear one of these screamers, you'll take a minute to call the police and report it."

Sounds like the guy is talking about a Vtwin, does it d!ckhead?

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Couple of bizarre posts ... again

You are so funny.. Everyone knows that 99% of all noisy bikes are cruiser riders mostly harleys..

Yours truly,

kRicer...

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

LOL Pencildx man that's low obandoj... My wife uses that one when I have been a really bad boy.. Of course it's not true...Of course..:) She wouldn't marry me if it was right?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

Not from where I'm sitting. It's only Harleys that are setting off the car alarms around here.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

Damn, kpaul - you're actually right about something. ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts

Living in wonderful downtown Long Beach, California I can attest that 95% of the pipes that are ridiculously loud are big twin cruisers. Now, there are non-cruiser types with loud pipes but nothing of the audible power of the twins.

This is coupled by the fact that cruiser riders seem unable not to rev up or blip the throttle constantly.

Is it annoying? Yes. Will it really save lives? No. Is it bad for riders and bad for motorcycling? Yes.

Add to that, that almost without fail if I see a loud piped bike I see a rider with a t shirt, MAYBE jeans, and tennis shoes. The safety bug ones wear the all protective leather vest. Usually if there's a passenger, they're wearing their high impact spiked heel boots and definitely protective tank top. Skid lid is mandatory.

They may be a small minority but they're the ones who gather the (negative) attention. If I thought that local law enforcement would hassle them, I'd encourage them to hand out tickets by the ton, but local law enforcement here has better things to do, no idea what, but better things to do.

Modifying bikes is a fantastic little hobby. Lots of satisfaction to be gained from really making a bike "you". Volume doesn't make the bike "you" it makes "you" an asshat

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.