Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why would Yamaha takes its hard earned reputation and toss it for "Star" Ohh pretty. Sounds like the ad people had too much time and money to play with. You don't see Honda Selling a "Red" or the New "Wing" line of motorcycles. Stupid is my vote. Helllloooo people. It's big, it's hard it's Wood. It's Log. And new fashion Log for girls.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome Morphous~

That blue scooter has _got's_ to be the coolest thing on the road.

I saw a few photos of it in recent Japanese motorcycle magazines. Never thought it would be brought to the North American market. Way stylish~ Definitely on my wish list. Chicks will dig it.

-gceaves

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks for the update Pete. Sean is a very lucky man. She looks so elegant and beautiful. You two make a great looking couple.

I guess the move to use the Star name is OK. However, these cruisers don't really ignite any passion in me. Unlike the Victory 8 ball,HD FXDX, Fat-Boy or V-Rod which I would enjoy owning... It's the long board short board thing right Buz? I am starting to understand..the cruiser appeal..

·
Registered
208 Posts
That big headlight and small wheels on the 'Liners looks unbalanced, like Dolly Parton in high heels. Maybe that's a good thing....

And why didn't we see the Morphous in the classic black/yellow motif? Opportunity missed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've recently read that 2004 profits for Toyota outgunned the big three American auto manufacturers combined. I'm no market analyst, but I think the method went like this: establish a reputation for quality early on, then after you've mastered your chops, hire some of the best designers to spruce up the line and appeal to the public's emotions (a la Lexus).... Reap big $$$. Remember when Toyota was just Carollas? Not any more. Now look carefully at the detailing of Star's Roadliners. These are not the Viragos you bought when you were flippin' burgers in the 80's. I dare anyone to line up a Roadliner side-by-side with a Harley Roadking and blurt the Harley mantra, "Jap Crap!". You would need a lot of Schlitz Beer under your gullet to not see just how cheesy a Harley has become when compared to the latest Jap cruisers. Go ahead Willie G. ... line 'em up side-by-side, then be afraid...be very afraid. Or... get to work improving your line before you become the next GM.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I'm not sure which Harley model you looked at recently that looks "cheesy". What is exactly cheesy about the Harleys?? How did you "check out the detailing" of a bike you haven't seen in person? Did you see them in person? It isn't "Jap Crap" anymore. It's the best imitation of a Harley they could come up with to date. You can now buy the copy, or buy the original. I wonder how frustrated the "Star" owner will get hearing "Which Harley model is that?" LOL

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Looks like we've come full circle again. The Japanese copy Harley ever more closely each year. Then someone complains about how ancient HDs are and how inferior HDs air-cooled engines are or how poor the quality is... yada yada yada. Of course no evidence can be presented of this supposed quality shortcoming. Yet Yamaha gets a complete pass on their air-cooled Harley clones. Sad really.

Especially since the lightest and best handling Big Twin you can buy is a freakin' DynaGlide. It even has regular style footpegs. Try finding that on the "japcrap". It's even cheaper than most of the other 1600cc+ cruisers. Unless they are last year's mocels like the VTX 1800s which are selling for under 10K. Man did the guys who bought those for full price take a bath or what?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Help! I can't stop laughing!

Stratoliners, Roadliners, I can't stop laughing!

Has Yamaha hired Bruce McCall? Mmmmm, Bulgemobiles! "Liquidmatic water cooling with H2O additive!", "Versa-Tronic 1-2-3-4 Transmission with Phantom Clutching", "Lid-Master Fedora Matic" automatically puts a crappy "biker" lid on your head, "Roto Tuned Mello-Muff mufflers"!

The new 2006 Yamaha Bulgemobiles - oops, I mean Stratoliner/Roadliners - "TOO GREAT NOT TO BE CHANGED - TOO CHANGED NOT TO BE GREAT!" "SO ALL FIRED NEW THEY MAKE TOMORROW SEEM LIKE YESTERDAY!!!!"

Cruiser guys: I scoff in your general direction.

Fair disclosure: everthing in quotes is quoted from the great Bruce McCall's 1982 book "Zany Afternoons". Sorry, long out of print and no, you can't borrow mine.

Seriously, I suppose Stratoliners & Roadliners should make me think of Union Pacific 4-6-6-4 locomotives, Lockheed Connies, B-36's, Dagmar bumpers and vintage Harleys. But it just makes me laugh.

Hey, MO. Thanks for really making my day! Not only am I going to be in a darn good mood all day, you forced me to get out Bruce McCalls best and laugh my ass off.

And thanks, Yamaha! or is it Star? Young MOrons out there: there is a future for you out there in marketing land! No idea is too dumb, no target market too dense!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd definitely put the MT01 at the top of my "which bike I'd add to stable next" list, if they'll just get it here already.

The z-rex just doesn't have any competition here as a big muscled naked bike. In europe they have the CB1300 which has a stronger engine and better handling then the ZRX1200. The GSX1400, imagine the torque on that one, and the XJR1300.

MO would you call your Yamaha connection and ask them what's they're excuse? I don't get it. I know those bikes don't fly out of the showrooms here, but it can't be they won't sell enough to at least cover they're expenses and keep the riders who want them happy.

Out of topic, but I just had to let it out.

Thank you.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Cmon Seruzawa, Yamaha..... I mean Star, has that wonderfully modern 48 degree pushrod, air cooled, belt driven V-Twin engine. Now where did those fantastic Yama......I mean Star, engineers think of that? That lousy Harley junk is an inferior 45 degree pushrod, air cooled, belt driven V-Twin. Cheesy to be sure. Harley engineers can't develop anything, and you know that. Of course, the Yamah........I mean Star V-Twin cruisers come to us from that same company that in the 80's branded the V-Twin an "inferior design" along with Honda. Funny, but that "inferior design" is now the mainstay of both the Honda and Yamah.....I mean Star lineup. Of course, that was when Harley was going under. I remember that Honda and Yamaha offered to show Harley how to make an inline four so they could "save" their company. Who showed who these days?? Like you stated, we have come full circle. Darth Vader was the student, and is now the master.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The V-Twin is an "inferior design".

But that's what the masses want and that's exactly what they'll get.

The jap's just read the market wrong in the 80's(also because HD wasn't doing so well), but since then they came to they're senses

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I can think of some cool jingles for the TV ads, how about

"See the USA on your StarlineofYamahamotorcycles roll-a"

or else

"Wouldn't you really rather have a StarlineofYamahamotorcycles"

how about

"Star line, it's not your fathers Yamaha.."

I'm starting to notice a real trend towards this billit and chrome V-twin thing, it may catch on boys. "looking forward to the next 50 years", eh? I guess when they re-introduce the XS 1100 I'll take an interest in Yamaha again.

The old #14 YZ250 looks exactly like my race bike back in the days of my rise to TOTAL WORLD MOTOCROSS DOMINATION!!!!! unfortunatly cut short by my patriotic tour of duty in the Navy. At least they still import the FZ1 right?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Everyone knows Harleys are antique oil-leaky unreliable junk and Japanese bikes are perfect cutting edge design.....If Honda didn't buy a controling interest in Harley back in the day they'd have went tits up like Studebaker

Jeez you two, get with the program yeah?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.