Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
S4 on track and a somewhat OT question: FZ6.

Nice to hear about the S4, Gabe. I'm playing with the idea of getting a track-dedicated bike next year, and that little freak looks like a good choice. I've seen a few used ones for sale. Now if I can only make the committment to travelling to the track days, I'd be all set.

Coincidentally, I was re-reading the MC-USA Reality Bike test today because I've got a friend who's interested in a sporty middleweight standard. Since he's not all that knowledgable, he's relying on me for advice. Poor sucker.

I first reviewed the MOfo comparo and they didn't have a high opinion of the FZ-6. It faired better in the MC-USA test, but still far from great. My question is whether the FZ6 is still reasonably good for a rider who's got a couple of years of experience on an older, smaller UJM and is not likely to push the bike to any great degree. The abrupt throttle response/EFI has got me a little concerned. It seems to me that Z750S is a better buy, even for the higher asking price, but it's an even bigger jump in power. This dude is very responsible and conservative, so I'm not worried about him doing anything stupid. The Z seems like it would be easier to ride, even given the higher power output. So am I right?

The SV-650 is running a distant third because he wants some decent wind protection and it's almost impossible to find a 599 around here.

Any other MO staff or MOrons feel free to jump in if you wish.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: S4 on track and a somewhat OT question: FZ6.

Yup, that's most have said. (Although you guys were more critical than most.) That's one of the reasons I would think the Z750 is easier to ride. Couple the peaky motor with the sketchy throttle and it makes me a little nervous.

I mentioned the VStrom but no one seems to have one of those, either. I'm right in the heart of Supersport/Cruiserland .The owner of my local Yamaha/Suzuki dealer told me they're also having a bit of a bike shortage right now. Take that for what it's worth, but he's definitely got noticably fewer bikes on the floor.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Good aftermarket wind protection for SV650? Anyone?

Dude, I hope you're not suggesting a "windshield" What you really meant was a bikini fairing or a flyscreen, right? I have this picture of an SV with a big 'ole police bike winshield or windjammer and it ain't pretty.

Seriously though, he probably could do it. But he's likely too anal to try modify anything on a new bike on his own--even something as simple as that. We're also talking about someone with virtually no knowledge about bikes. The dealer could do it, too. More likely, I'd end up doing it, thanks very much. My problem with the aftermarket stuff is that you have no clue how well it works unless you hear from someone who has the same bike and setup. I think he wants something more substantial than a flyscreen, and aftermarket quarter/half fairings have a whole host of other issues to deal with (paint, being one). That being said, nothing's out of the realm of possibility. He's gonna check out the SVs this week.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket solution for the SV?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Good aftermarket wind protection for SV650? Anyone?

Well, yeah. Those things are all over the place. But what I'd like to know is which ones actually work. From what I understand, some of them actually screw up the airflow, don't work, or are just crappily made. Some of them work great.

By the way, the first group (NC) were, more or less, hideous. The first one on the page was okay, but most of the rest were really bad looking. The second link (Rifle) was $300 and required paint. So now we're talking about adding another, say, $375 to the bike.

If he decides he really wants the SV, I'm sure there are more than a few proven solutions. Just curious if anyone has some first hand experience with them.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

He's not a beginner. He's actually got almost three years of experience, has gotten some seat time on a couple of bigger bikes and rides fairly well from what I can tell. He's just very motorcycle ignorant. He's looking to get a little more serious but doesn't really know anything about bikes.

By the way, he's not considering the S4. He's thinking about an FZ6. And I am a bit hesitant about the Z750S because it makes serious power. But it seems to be a bit easier to ride than the FZ.

That being said, I think the SV would be fine for him, too.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

He'll be doing a bit of both--highway and backroads. If you're familiar with Long Island, you'll know about something evil called the L.I.E. (and other long, primarily straight highways). And it can either be stopped dead or have an 80+ mph pace depending on time and conditions. If you have to commute any distance on the Island, you're going to probably end up on one of those roads. Believe me, I've done it on faired and unfaired bikes, and when you're droning along into a fairly strong headwind, any kind of wind protection is welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.