Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well...

I live in San Francisco, and shop rates are $75-110 per hour. It costs just as much to inspect and adjust valves on a Japanese 16-valve engine...but the Triumph needs an inspection every 8k. You could probably get away with 15 or 16k, but Triumph wants you to maintain the bike carefully.

Only two of my valves were changing clearance, so the adjustment shouldn't be too bad at 16k.

Also, the air filter is $50, the fuel filter is $50, and Triumph wants you to use their special synthetic Mobil One oil...$45 a gallon. My filters looked good enough to keep using, and I used cheaper oil, so I saved some bread.

I don't think the higher maintainance cost would outweigh the other savings in insurance and purchase price: you're saving almost $2000 over the price of a Honda F4i- that's a lot of valve adjustments!

·
Registered
720 Posts
FZ-6 v. Z750

That's a tough choice. My instinct is that the Kawi is easier to ride, but the build quality and 26k valve-adjustment intervals on the FZ-6 make it a good choice too. He can't go wrong either way.

I think an SV650 is a better track bike than the Speed Four (after modifying it), but maybe that's just because I was a faster rider when I had my SV. I think the Triumph is just a bit lardy and bland on the track. It's really a great street bike, though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Taller Riders:

It's a little more roomy than a comprable Japanese bike, but it is pretty small. I don't think it's a bad choice, but a much bigger rider should look at the Speed Triple and try it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.