Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Godzilla is actually a Japanese metaphor for the U.S. motorcycle market. Godzilla hasn't walked right since the GTS 1000. Godzilla laments the stack of CB-1s he had to burn to survive the winter of 1990. The sight of a TDM850 reduces him to tears. Godzilla hates excess inventory!! Mothra!?! How dare you mention the Bandit 400!! Stick an SRX 250 whereit stinks! Myahh!!!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
The truth is not as counting cabbage in the field.....

It's nothing personal, it's just business. I'm with you on this. I'd rather have the option of purchasing one of those bikes from Europe or just across my nearest border. See this is the bad part about being a "minority", you and I, we don't matter. The only solution I see is to get a sport bike and mod it into a standard, look out my window see that green thing with bags and risers......

·
Registered
323 Posts
The U.S. motorcycle market has grown a lot since the days of the Bandit 400 and the CB-1. It would be nice if the Japanese manufacturers would test the waters by bringing one or two of the non-US models over and see how it goes. There are some bikes, such as the V-Strom, that would likely have been flops in the early to mid-90s. OTOH, didn't Suzuki drop the naked SV? I think nakeds still don't sell well in the US.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Of course, I happen to own a Honda 599 AND a CB-1 (my second). I'd give my eyeteeth for new naked 400s, and it would certainly be nice to have more options between 250 and 600 for naked bikes. And by "naked" I mean round headlights and NO fairing at all, not even the dinky ones that Yamaha puts on its so-called naked FZ6. Posers!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Some awesome bikes in the sub-600cc category around the world, but the Bigger is Better mentality of US buyers means anything smaller than a 600 -- save for the DRZ or dirt bikes -- probably won't sell well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I see about an equal mix of sportbikes and cruisers on the roads in my area. What I don't see much of is different type bikes, like supermotos, adventure bikes (DL, GS), big naked bikes, etc.

Makes me want to get something odd. Maybe a Ural with a sidecar....

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
It also has to do with the riding conditions here in the states. To be of any use to most people, a bike has to be comfortable at highway speeds (80+ around here).

I have a DRZ and other small bikes, and I occasionally take them on the highway, but it's not their element.

Conditions are different in other countries.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I guess i should qualify that. All I see on the _weekends_ are cruisers.

The people who commute to work on bikes around here (unfortunately, not me) rise "practical" bikes, like FZ6's/FZ1's, Triuph Sprints, and a bunch of old Japanese standards.

I rode to work for 2.5 years on an old VT500 Ascot.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Re: According to Japan, and the rest of the world, America is Crazy...

Cruisers are the motorcycle equivalent of the SUV. Heavy, inefficient, poor handling, slow, crummy brakes. And, like SUVs, they are insanely popular here. If only cruisers had cupholders and DVD players...they'd sell millions more/

Like our government, America gets the motorcycles it deserves; in this case, we vote with our dollars. However, it's widely held that the profit margins from cruiser sales fund the technology in sportbikes, sort of a "gummit subsidy." So, maybe that eases your pain.

One last comment, there's hardly a dearth of bikes to choose from these days. When I was a kid we'd walk 5 miles through the blinding snow to look at 3 Harley models, a couple Hondas, and maybe 1 each from the Euro manufacturers. The choices, quantities, prices, and availability these days are a dream come true. Stop your whining and ENJOY IT!!!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The dealers are our biggest enemy here. I know- I am a recovering F&I mgr. When a new dealer opens the factory supplying bikes try to even the mix of bikes on the floor for obvious reasons. When it's time to re-order bikes all bets are off and the dealer sells what sells best putting all the other bikes to the side as an afterthought. Europe, Japan and Australia sell a ton of bikes in the low cc displacements that absolutely rock the house. They never see the light of day here because the dealer sales forces are (like most Americans) exposed to the bigger, better, faster culture. H3ll, we just shoot ourselves in the foot on that one, really.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The geography of the USA is completely different than Japan or Europe. There are huge expanses of the USA where a sportbike is a completely stupid purchase because there aren't any roads to use it's capabilities. Then there are other areas where one has to ride many long miles to the nearest twisty road. Geography itself enforces the idea of owning cruisers. Who wants to drone for hundreds of miles on a buzzing 400?

To that you add the people who wanted Harleys when they were younger and now they are older, their kids are grown up and they finally get to fulfill their dream. I don't see anything wrong with that. To each his own.

But American culture always seeks the "biggest" thing. They buy .44mags when a .38 is more than sufficient. They buy huge Suburbans when a Subaru Wagon is quite enough. For that matter they buy Hayabusas when in fact a Z750S would be a wiser choice. They buy 6000 sq ft vacation homes but only use enough space that an "A" frame would be more than enough for.

So, to answer your question the Big4 don't bring over small displacement bikes or naked standards because they don't sell. If you've been paying attention you'll notice that they do bring these thingsd over, they sell poorly and the dealers replace the ones they finally sell with something that will sell. And if you were running a dealership you would too. They aren't charities.

Maybe you should open up a shop and fill it with small displacement bikes and standards. See how well you do.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
oops.

Scratch that about the Z750S being a "wiser" choice. The real "wiser" choice is a Honda Accord.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fair enough, but there are plenty of urban/suburban settings that need smaller nakeds. Plus, the smaller cc engines these days are more than capable of 80+mph, it's the chassis and suspension that need to better balanced for highway on smaller bikes.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I don't care for them myself. I think Japan is too narrowly focused on both ends of the spectrum, from sportbikes at one end to cruisers on the other. I prefer bikes like the Bandit, FZ1, ZRX, 599/919 that are of practicle use in a number of situations.

If I wanted a cruiser style bike I'd get another Harley, probably a Dyna Wide Glide next, or a Triumph Speedmaster. I think the Yamaha Warrior is vaguely appealing, othet than that I'm not interested.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Re: Oh Yeah.......

And that 650 Ninja's cool too.........

I think that's about it..........

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.