Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Having shared a hotel room with Martin near Willow Springs, I can confirm and lament that indeed the Under Armour does fit like a second skin.

Perhaps Sean could have included the Acerbis bathrobe with the gear.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
With that getup all you're missing is a bush hat with corks hanging from it and a can of Foster's.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
How about winter gloves? my P.O.S. TourMaster Elite's wore through and started leaking after only 15 years of use.

My main criteria is waterproof, when my hands get wet, they get cold, then good old arthritis kicks in and can't do ***** for a few days till they thaw out.

GPTB membership does have it's drawbacks

·
Registered
579 Posts
In the last 10 years gear has improved by leaps and bounds, and it has me pretty fired up about the next 10 years.

You know what I want? I want a full suite of hard armour. Think Storm Trooper with a HJC flip-up helmet.

We've got the materials to do this.... we just haven't. I firmly believe it would sell.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
A very informative and thorough review Martin. Unless I just failed to see it however, you didn't tell us what the cost of these various items were. I looked on the MC Superstore link, and found the pants, but failed to find the jacket. What was the cost of the jacket, and the undergarments? As someone who rides both on and off road I will give this apparel a serious look. VWW

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Hi bmw4Play, good to see you back.

The under armour stuff usually sells around the MSRP everywhere i.e. no big discounts cause it's popular.

Leggings usually sell around the MSRP $40 and the shirt for around $35. It's worth it though. I have 2 mock turtle necks and 2 leggings for riding along with 5 t-shirts for and compression shorts for the 5 days a week I spend in the gym. I buy my stuff at the NW regional sporting good store chain GI Joe's. Worth the investment. Like Martin said cotton gets too wet and lycra/spandex doesn't breath very well . Under armour also is stronger and last longer than drymax or other synthetic underwear like you get at REI

·
Registered
334 Posts
SBP, I really am gonna have to take you up on that offer to ride up to the hinterlands and spend some time hangin' with you. Not cause of the riding mind you, I just gotta pick me up some of those hysterical backwoods-isms about menopausal aunts and such.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So far I love my TourMaster (Cortech) leather gear. I have the perforated Coaster jacket, Decker pants, and some gauntlety carbon fibery knuckled gloves. Inexpensive (for leather), looks good, so far it's functional. If I get 15 years out of it I'll be thrilled. Only one complaint is the knee amour in the Decker pants rides up on my thigh when riding (relaxed sport bike riding position). Other than that all is good with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Indeed, I second that. All weather gear is of no use to me unless it gets good reviews in ALL WEATHER. Sunny california doesn't even remotely prove an all-weather gears environment prowess. If it ever rains down there, tell us if it leaks after riding on a sport bike at 60mph in a driving rain for 4 or 5 hours. That's a real test of wet weather gear.

I'm actually a little disgusted by MOs golden stamp of approval without really testing the gear. I would have hoped at least that you would have tested the abrasion durability by sliding down the road on your face!! ;)

Cheerio.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Design Anyone?

Why is it that the majority of motorcycle clothing looks buttocks? Hey, can you spot the person who rides a motorcycle? Affirmative, from a mile away, just look at the clothes he's wearing. They match the tacky motorcycle graphics spewed on his motorcycle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree. I live in sunny Southern California and I bought a pair of Teknic defender boots that are (or so the company says) "waterproof." I used them very lightly for about a year, then Monday I rode home in the real rain (25 miles, it was pouring pretty hard) and after about 10 miles my socks were totally soaked, like a sponge. It took two days just to dry up the inside of the boots. For a year I used them, sometimes in light rain, and did not have any trouble...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Re: Design Anyone?

You make a good point. Why can't motorcycling apparel look like regular clothing? Doe's it have to be decorated by someone that appears to have just wondered out of a mid 60's San Franciscan Fillmore West concert? As odd as the street ware looks, it pales in comparison to the recent dirt bike apparel. VWW

·
Registered
729 Posts
Pricing Information

My profoundest apoligies. When we first put this together both the Matrix Jacket and Pant were on the Motorcycle USA Superstore website. I didn't check again before I sent Fonzie the final draft last week. My bad.

The Jacket has an MSRP of $299.95 and in the sizes and colors still available (limited) may be ordered directly from Acerbis:

http://www.acerbis.com/p135_jacket/6830.html

And I'm sure that the nice folks at MotorcycleUSA will happily respond to an email inquiry about hooking you up with the whole getup. I suspect that the jacket was a popular seller.

UnderArmor is available ubiquitously at shopping mall sporting goods store all across this greatest of all possible lands. Prices vary a lot with model/color/size.

Hope that helps.

martin

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know that I totally agree with your premise in the first place since the Acerbis is different than the Aerostitch in both intent and execution - but I like the Acerbis better. Aerostitch suits are wonderful garments in every way but there are other things out there that work as well and in this case, better for a wide variety of on and offroad uses. I have ridden many thousands of miles in rain, snow, mud, blistering heat, wind, in highly abrasive environments, and have yet to find the conditions in which this combo let me down. THe stuff is comfortable, bulletproof, exceptionally well-armored and relatively inexpensive. I just don't know what more one could ask from the point of function..

About the only thing that Aerostitch suits I've worn have on the Matrix combo is that they sure look *****in'

cheers

martin

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.