Motorcycle Forums banner

Actually Riding to a Motorcycle Rally

9K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  JR8516 
#1 ·
First post!

gceaves

#2 ·
For Australian rallies you ride there with all your camping gear etc, and back again. Cars usually not allowed into the site (except for injured riders). Rallies can be fully catered to bring your own eveything. And (horror shock) there may be gravel roads!!

#3 ·
Well I for one will be riding down to Garmisch for the big BMW bike rally over 1-3 July.

The reason that people ride to rallies in Europe is that we can split lanes . Also putting a bike on a trailer and sitting in Staus for hours and not to mention gas is $5-6 a gallon are muliple reasons for just taking a bike. Let's not forget that Europe is much more biker friendly that in the States.

#4 ·
Well I for one will be riding down to Garmisch for the big BMW bike rally over 1-3 July.

The reason that people ride to rallies in Europe is that we can split lanes . Also putting a bike on a trailer and sitting in Staus for hours and not to mention gas is $5-6 a gallon are muliple reasons for just taking a bike. Let's not forget that Europe is much more biker friendly than in the States.

#9 ·
I'm sure that the Euros would be happy to ride their R1's to a rally in Kazakhstan. 2000 or so miles of flat straight road.

How about riding from my home (Houston) to Daytona? Mmmmm, yummy fun. 1000 miles of sweltering heat on I-10, that ruler straight lumpy stretch of asphalt that plunges through hunndreds of miles of swamp. Kindof like the trip from Zurich to Turin.

Not.

#10 ·
Two years ago I was travelling Highway 40 east heading towards the Grand Canyon on my V-Strom when I started to see thousands of bikes on trailers heading east with me. It turned out the Laughlin River Run was going on. I'd guess the bikes on trailers out numbered the bikes being ridden 15:1. Have to say they were all fairly friendly though.

#15 ·
sounds pretty cool to me

"World of BMW has arranged a ride-out programme in conjunction with the nationwide BMW Motorrad Dealership Network. A mass of motorcycles is due to assemble at the Eurotunnel terminal in Folkestone at 6.30am on Thursday 30 June. On arrival in Calais they will split into organised groups and ride 385 miles across rural France to Strasbourg, on the border with Germany. After the overnight hotel (or camping) stop, the groups then complete a 255-mile ride through Germany to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. They will stay in the German town for two nights and attend the Biker Meeting events hosted by BMW Motorrad."

#17 ·
>>On arrival in Calais they will split into organised groups and ride 385 miles across rural France to Strasbourg, on the border with Germany. After the overnight hotel (or camping) stop, the groups then complete a 255-mile ride through Germany to Garmisch-Partenkirchen.<<

Sounds like a little more than 200K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.