Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Huge tourers

Besides the Wing, there are also Polaris, H-D and others who compete - more or less - in that realm. And BMW competes harder.

Yes, Honda sells more Wings than some of the other brands. But, I notice that every month except August, there are more BMW bikes out on these mountain roads than Goldwings. Which leads me to suspect that the typical Wing is taken out one week a year. Good for longevity, anyhow.

(I grant that those living below 8000 feet elevation might perceive things differently - though if they sat and watched US 24 or US 285 traffic they'd get the same counts that I do.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Now a cooling compressor isn't a bad idea

Back in the Apollo days, an outfit in Ohio made cooling suits for astronauts. There were a bunch of tubes, it looked quite a lot like the chain mail they wear in those middle ages hack and gouge movies. For astronaut use, they just evaporated water into space. With a Gold Wing, you'd plug into the compressor fittings (right next to the auxiliary electric outlet).

Having ridden in Phoenix in mid summer, I'd like to have something like that. In fact, I'd like it enough to leave the BMW at home and rent a Wing for the occasion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts