Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to live about 70 miles north of New York City, and I went on a trip to the official Adirondack park area one time. While I'm sure that there are plenty of good motorcycling roads somewhere in the Adirondacks, I couldn't find any. They were mostly crappy roads meandering between trailers and woods. Any of the newly renovated sections were just loose stone chippings with tar. Obviously not ideal. I'm sorry I couldn't have been more helpful, maybe a trip back to Deal's Gap would be better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree. I've taken a couple trips thru the adirondack's and couldn't find anything close to the quality of the deal's gap area. or west virginia for that matter. if you're half way between em, i'd say you've got better closer to home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Lowrez,

Ride extensively in the Adrondacks and have for years. Lots of great roads and scenery. Rt 10 is a great twistie in varying degrees of condition. Some frost heaves in spots but smooth as a babys bottom in others.

Rt. 30 has just been repaved and is awsome. It will take you all the way to Tupper Lake where you can pick up Rt. 3 and go east into Saranac Lake and on into Lake Placid. Rt 73 will take you down to the Northway (RT87) if you want to take the super slab south if not, you can go further east and pick up say Rt 22.

Also lots of excellent riding coming up through the Catskills, again on Rt. 10 and RT 30. Lost's of east west roads as well. You get the idea. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Holatahd

·
Registered
4 Posts
i ride the adirondacks all the time, in fact, that is the home of the Americade rally that's

held in the beginning of june. i usually make home base somewhere between lake george village up route 9n to bolton landing. it's a ten mile stretch loaded with motels and eateries.

i pick any motel that has a vacancy. all are nice and clean and usually family owned and operated. from there i travel north on route 9n to rt. 28. to blue mt. lake. then take rt. 28n

towards the town of long lake to newcomb. if you look at a map you can see all this.

another ride is from "home base" you can take rt 9n north to fort ticongeroga stop at the fort then take the ferry across to vermont and take rt 7 south to rt 4 west that will take you back to lake george.

tip, obey the speed limit in the small towns!! when the road opens up through the mountains PULL THE TRIGGER and enjoy

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is great. Between you and Holatahd I have a starting point for my plans. It looks to me like I can pretty easily string together two days of solid riding without too much time wasted traveling from one decent road to the next. I'll be sure to keep detailed notes in my riding diary.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The Gap and the Adirondack's the same distance form your base of operations? Live near Virginia? If so, please don't turn your back on West Virginia's back roads. You'll have a ball and they could use the money. No, I don't live there. Don't get too upset with my digressing. I did live in those beautiful New York Mountains for a bit and must warn you; you may not want to go home as the trip's end nears. Here is a touring company in that area that you might want to check out. http://www.twouptours.com/

Have fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coming from the Montreal area, all roads south of the border are beautiful. This winter was especially rough, and so are the roads. The one comment I have worthy of sharing is that most people around here rave about Vermont and New Hampshire. Regardless, NY is closer, and I plan on doing a ride there first. I've looked at the map extensively, and I believe that Lake Placid will be a good objective or home base. Any comments or thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ride the Adirondacks all the time. Feel free to contact me directly, and I can give you the details of a ten hour ride up to Lake George from Long Island, all back roads. Also, Americade is June 6th-13th. The best time to be up on the Adirondacks on a bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Adirondack’s are a great destination. There is the Americade rally, at Lake George, starting June 12th and going to the 17th, see their web site: http://www.tourexpo.com/04/index2.html.

The area is lettered with real nice roads. If you your interested in going a little further north there is the Lake Placid area. If you stay in Lake Placid it’s pricey. If you more 9 miles to the north to Saranac Lake it’s just as nice and more affordable. Just be prepared for weather and you should have a great ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I stay at Lake George every year for Americade. Great riding between Lake George and Lake Placid. Also good for trips into Vermont. Some great riding around Killington and Woodstock, VT areas. I find new routes every year. Go and enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to college in Postdam & live in Syracuse,

The twisiest roads I have found are off of I-90 in Utica area, The locals just call it Speculator, for a town on that road. Its a somehwat diagonal line from Utica on I-90 to I-87. Tons of fun

-Oliver

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good roads abound in the Adirondacks, but they are of a different style than the roads in the Deals Gap area. In the Adirondacks you will generally have to carry more speed to get the same thrill - not a problem if you follow the advice of an earlier post and slow down for the (few and far between) little towns. Just get a good map and pick the roads with the most squiggles and least towns.

Don't miss Route 10 between Caroga Lake and Higgins Bay. Plenty of curves and elevation changes, with lots of well-banked curves at the bottom of a dip (the kind of curve that makes you think you're a lot better rider than you really are!). And none of that annoying gravel that marks the apex of every right-hander in West Virginia. (BTW, I prefer this route from south to north, but others disagree).

There's a good motel in Tupper Lake on the north side of Route 3/30 - biker friendly, reasonable rates, a short walk to a good restaurant, and an easy crawl back from a local tavern. (Sorry, can't remember the name.)

Also, getting to the Adirondacks can be half the fun. Plenty of freeways if you have to get there fast, but there's lots of good riding in the Catskills if you have the time. Avoid Route 28 and you will be treated to some nice, tight twisties and "variable conditions" that will tax your skills. You can catch route 10 north of the Catskill Park for the least congested south-to-north crossing of the Thruway, and end up on that nice stretch of Route 10 between Caroga Lake and Higgins Bay.

Summer traffic can be frustraiing in both the Catskills and the Adirondacks. June and September are good months for riding while the kiddies are attending their studies. Makes a great detour on the way to Laconia over Father's Day (bring your rain gear).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I know this is very out of date. But check out the opening page of www.tourtheadiondacks.com. There is a road called Tracy Road that is a blast. The canidians all come down for the ride. No we don't have a Deals Gap but we have a lot of roads that come close.

One of the best weeeks to visit is during Americade. Welcome to Americade.

Should you decide to come contact me. I know the best of the best in the Adirondacks and Western VT. I assure you fininding 3 to 4 days of great riding is very easy.

Oh by the way lots of excellent paved, State, and local roads for those great rides.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.