Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.
Question: As laws become more restrictive if I wanted to ride off- road Canada to Mexico is this possible? Or do I use a dual sport and string thru-trails together? or. I'm from back east, are ohv trails out west like here and just circular in nature? Looked for info on net and no luck, ATV stores say whyuwanna doit?(???) So has window of opportunity closed? CHRIS

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I couldn't say exactly buy the largest tracts of BLM land are in the west through Utah, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, etc. If you got a lot of good maps you probably could ride much of the way off road.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Yes it is possible. In fact, there is a group that offers a tour. You start at the border of Canada and ride down to the border of Mexico. You stay off-road the entire time, but you never actually leave the U.S.

There was an article in Cycle World Adventures, I think it might have been the 2004 issue (it's an annual magazine), where they did a story on it. I have the issue around here somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I found the 2005 issue...which solves nothing! Anyhow CWA gave it a positive review to the extent that I would like to be able to do it at some point.

Also Road Runner has an article on doing the trip off road without the above mentioned tour:

Canada to Mexico - Off-Road Excerpts | RoadRUNNER Magazine

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Where else would you go? Another dimension?

Having a KP moment?
Well, if they wrong-turned somewhere, they might end up in Californication or Texas: Both are like a whole-other Country..........

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I could continue this....

Well....you could start on the Canadian side of the border and end on the Mexican side of the border....thus leaving the United states.

....stupid red stater! :)
.... with some stupid hairsplitting goalpost moving argument. We could drag it put at least another 20 posts.

Instead I'll leave the poor posters at Cycle World to endure such nonsense.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I once rode...

from Glendale California, to Inglewood, Ca on an un-registered Valmoble folding motor scooter...only on sidewalks, vacant lots and through parking lots...when my Coupe De Ville refused to start one morning.

The ride home was mostly uneventful, until i stopped at Crenshaw & Adams, where i was forced to purchase a double-dove of crack from some homies who liked my scooter. It was that or get beat down.

Turned out to be soap. Crooks.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
i was forced to purchase a double-dove of crack from some homies who liked my scooter. It was that or get beat down.

Turned out to be soap. Crooks.
You just can't trust anybody these days! - What's next? Politicians keeping their Promises? That'll be a TRUE sign we're living in the End Times.............

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
clochner, the best place to ask this question is at Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum . Those guys ride EVERYWHERE and will know where such a ride can be done, if it can be done at all.

BTW, I hope you post a trip report when you are done! I'd love to take such a ride! :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
There's quite a few people who have run the dirt route down the rockies you were linked to, but even to operate on dirt roads you're going to need a dual sport in most states. I don't know of an OHV system that runs from Canada to Mexico. You also have the option of running through Oregon, Washington and California. I know the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route pretty well, but can't say as much about the developed dual sport routes through Washington and California.
Oh for a motorcycle board where politics doesn't become the overwhelming subject matter on threads.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.