Motorcycle Forums banner

Advice on a nearly new or new sport/tourer?

15K views 37 replies 33 participants last post by  zradix 
#1 ·
The Honda ST1100 has Zero charachter but it can be had used, will go forever, has a huge gas tank, good luggage, a ton of aftermarket support, a dealer in every neighborhood and handles pretty well despite weighing a bit over 700 lbs. I prefer it over the ST1300. But those new Guzzis would be hard to turn down.

#3 ·
Having had one for 6 yrs, I can agree 100%. As for lots of dealers...well, you wouldn't be needing one at all unless you need someone to spoon on new shoes. Its that reliable...really.

But sounds like you want something with character.

Guzzi's lookin better & better. A nice, used fairly late BMW would be great, too. But you'll need a good dealer. A GOOD dealer.

If you get a Guzzi, get a cc of Guzzilogy & join MGNOC.

#6 ·
I just picked up an '05 Breva 750 for about $1700 off of msrp. They're clearing out stock in preparation for the new model year. It'll do all you ask and more.

If you're in the Seattle area, Google Moto International and check out the specials link at the top of the page. I know they've got a couple left.

I just took delivery last week and haven't been able to get off of it. ;-)

#7 ·
I'll add my vote for the Kawasaki Concours. They are certainly priced right, even new. I think it has character, but then, it might just be the straight cut primaries talking to an old Z1 rider. Fast enough, handles great (compared to CB750/Z1 vintage iron), but it's heavy. First bike I've had with a fairing, very noisy with either of the 2 stock screen, but great with the Rifle windshield. I do my own work, and I found the valve cover and carbs hard to get in and out. The bike was nearly impossible to start below 40degF (pretty much a new problem for me, see comments on fairing), but I r/r carbs, drilled out primary caps, found same set at an average of 1.25 turns, set to 'overseas' setting of 2 turns; and that seems to have remedied the starting problem. Oh, and I found that it is pretty hard to r/r your own tires anymore. Most of this probably goes for most new stuff.

I was leaving the bags off except for trips, but now I leave them on as it facilitates running kids around, doing errands, etc., even though my middle son (high school) mocks me for being an old man. What does he know, he wants a 'tuner' car. I'm considering installation of a trunk to gross him out some more.

I also have an Elefant, a Solex, and am rebuilding a Honda C70, so I'm not immune to the character issue. Just financially and lifestyle challenged. The ZG1000 has been approved by SWMBO, as long as the backrest is in place.

I have been thinking that the BMW and Guzzi's do look do look good, though; with their easily accessed valve gear and carbs, and low maintenance requirements. I AM getting old!

#8 ·
I don't suspect that there is a Guzzi dealership near by. I had a 850-T3 1978 and had it for four years w/o any problems and they're supposed to be better now as are all bikes. I loved mine and would consider another if in the market. They do set you apart. I went to a MC rally in Nova Scotia and was the only Guzzi there. I got lots of questions, complements and the Cabot Trail was a blast. Plenty of motor to motor around.

#10 ·
Buell! You MUST try one. If you are looking for a "town bike" you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Yeah, the dealers suck. Yeah, you go in and nobody will talk to you. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But the bikes absolutely kick a$$. When somebody asks if I got a Hardley, I say "sort of......"

At least consider it. Go to some dealership and sit on one. Look at one for sale from and individual.

Do NOT not consider one just cause "It's a Hardley...."

Good luck & shiny side up!

Rob

#11 ·
Oh, Yeah.... Look at Progressive for insurance on the little beastie. Shop around for motorcycle insurance, as different companies score bikes differently. ALL my other stuff, (house, 2 cars, live insurance, windstorm, flood, etc, etc.) I have with State Farm, and I REALLY wanted to hook up with them, but they were about 3 TIMES what Progressive was.

I picked up a new stock, 2004 Lightning XB12 for $1500 off the sticker. They are not the cheapest out there, but I could not be happier after gettig thru the break in period.

Good luck again.

#12 ·
Ducati ST3.. I'm waiting for my wife to go out of town so I can bring another Duc home to roost in my stable..

#14 ·
sprint st fits your specs perfectly- ~450 lbs, lower than a tiger but not quite a sportbike, bags available, 3-cyl 955cc engine has character and is reliable, cheap insurance despite being very very fast, great for (sport) touring or weekend scratching or riding around town...

#16 ·
VFR, by all means. I like the ones with the gear drive for the cams, and they have an exhaust note that's a bit different from the herd, if that's what you mean by 'character'. If it's quirks, look elsewhere. A friend has an ST4 and loves it, but he's also got a Monster and doesn' think the maintenance is all that high on it. He is a bit more enthusiastic about getting his hands dirty than I am, however. ST3's are all pretty new, I think.

#21 ·
If you want to stay under 500 lbs the Guzzi 1100 is over that. Yes you should be able to get one for less than MSRP but not as much as in the past because of the new models. I have a Breva 750, 2004 model with 18,000 miles. No problems and it is much more comfortable than my riding buddy's Honda 919. Slower but corners as well and I am not doing 100 mph trips or track days anyway. I test rode a Breva 1100 at Bike Week and liked it. It did not feel 525 pounds. I like my Goose and it has been trouble free for me. The motor is much less complicated than a BMW or Honda. I work on my own now that it is out of waranty. Unless you just want flash, speed or a different style Guzzis are great. Remember they are made for everyday riding. Not 1200 mile years like the other air cooled v-twin. Good luck

#23 ·
Actually, the lightning is in pretty good shape for its age. I did install a boyer ignition, which helps a lot, but the carbs need cleaning and adjusting (might install mikuni's) and a new clutch wouldn't hurt. It sumps REALLY bad, which could be from a leaky oil pump. I love the bike and will probably keep it no matter what I get, but it's a perpetual work in progress and I picture it exploding one day. And your right, the bike has a lot of charisma. Wherever I go people ask about the it at stoplights, parking lots, etc... I just need something a little more practical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.