Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
An After Action Review, eh? Yeah, thats a good way to think about it. Unfortunately, it seems the reviews always come about the time you want to go to sleep! But if thats all I really have to complain about, then I'm very lucky.

You asked about my gear. Thankfully it was a chilly morning, so I had another couple of layers on underneath my riding gear which probably helped reduce some bruising. But I had on a full face HJC helmet, a Joe Rocket jacket, and Harley Leather boots and thick denim jeans. Evrything looks pretty bad now of course, except suprisingly the jeans! Bizarre. How lucky am I?

Its funny, a few weeks before I was thinking about getting an open face helmet as I was getting really hot wearing the full face. If I'd been wearing that, I'd have no chin and no teeth. The helmet I was wearing had scratches all over the front, side and face shield. I guess you can't be too careful. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll probably end up getting another bike. I'm sure thats why I asked you guys and not non-riders! The insurance company said they'd they would pay the tax on any bike purchase I make in the next 60 days, which is a nice incentive to go buy one relatively soon. Not sure if I will or not. Living in Michigan though, its going to be tough to ride to the mountains, but I get your message. Go somewhere nice and quiet and chill out for a while and have some good riding. Sounds good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No ABS. I have also thought about adding that option to the next bike if I get one. I'd had a near spill about 6 months ago in the wet, a guuy pulled out in front of me and stopped! I braked hard, but I grabbed them instead of squeezing and the front locked but I just eased off and it regained traction. Lucky then as well. I practiced a few high speed stops in a big parking lot, felt pretty good, never really worried about it again until now. I liked the ST1100 alot but I probably won't get another, not right now anyway. I was looking at the BMW R1100RT and Kawasaki Concours. I'll have to buy another used bike, funds won't permit a new one (especially after the loss on the ST). The BMW has ABS but costs $10000 for a 98! I don't have that much, so I'll probably end up with a Concours and alot of space between me and everyone else! Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're probably right! Ask those who will give you the answer you want, right? I've heard alot of people recommend a track day, maybe I should listen more! Can you still go to these type of things with a touring bike? How do they help? I'm curious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: change of pace

I wasn't expecting this many replies! I guess alot people crash, huh! Thanks again for replying, this is helpful.

I think you're right about the type of bike. I was thinking about a another sport touring bike, like a BMW RT or a Councours, but I wasn't ignoring cruisers or full touring bikes for just that reason. I used to drive a sporty car, pretty quick, stick shift, alot of fun, but I did notice I was driving quicker and more aggressively. My wife and I recently had out first child, so after a few months, I decided to sell the 2 door and buy a 4 door for practacality. I still had the bike for fun, right? I noticed a big change in driving habits, its a pretty slow car, pretty boring, doesn't exactly reward you with sharp handling and quick acceleration, so I tend to relax a bit and just chug around. So the thought of buying a big tourer or cruiser did occur to me, maybe it would have the same effect on my riding. I was always more careful on the bike anyway, but obvioulsy not careful enough. I'm just not sure I'm ready for an 7-800lb bike! Thanks though. I was always a Ultra Classic but until they're about $8000, I'll just have to admire them from a distance!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boating and knitting? Nah. I don't think so! The thought of putzing around the same piece of lake everytime I go out would bore me to tears. And knitting, well, I'm not very creative, what can I say.

I've only been riding a couple of years and I thoroughly enjoy it, so in short, I'll probably get back on and buy another bike. Hopefully any panic and flashbacks will be minimal and after awhile I'll be able to enjoy as much as I used to. I'll take it easy and enjoy the view more instead. Its the best way to travel, definately the most fun, and obviously the most painful if you make a mistake! Still, I live in surburbia, work in a office, drive a 4 door sedan......I think I need a little something to stir things up. My wife has been very supportive as well, although I'm not sure she'll jumping on the back anytime soon.

Thanks for the advice. ABS, no idiots. Got it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: LIMEDUST, you've sure got a lot of good ideas so far.

I sure did alot of feedback from this. I'm pretty suprised by it, and I have a lot of ideas. Thanks for the offer of the bike, OKC is a bit far from Detroit though! I'm sure I'll be able to get a ride somehow, or just take the plunge and buy something new. I'm sure the worst part will be the first few miles and the first few turns, and for sure the first 'emergency' stop. But if it was easy, everyone would be doing this. Its not easy to ride a bike well, thats what makes it great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't want to wait all winter if I can help it. I'll have to see how quick the insurance money comes through and what the weathers doing. I was thinking about buying another, riding it once or twice to get rid of the jitters, service and store it and let myself heal up a little over winter. I hadn't really considered a dirt bike or track days much before this happened, but I'm thinking one or the other, or even both couldn't do any harm. I would imagine tooling around on a dirt bike for a while would make the ST feel like a Cadillac by comparison!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I remember a little more about the crash everyday. I'm pretty sure I just panicked and grabbed the front brake instead of squeezing like I was taught. I guess you get lazy practicing it. Hopefully, I won't fall into that trap again. I've gotten alot advice in the last day or so from all these MOrons, so maybe I'll try and be that wise person who learns from other peoples mistakes.......or that wise guy?

I won't be in hurry next time, I'll try not to grab the brake and maybe I'll try and keep the next one shiney side up. And definately wear good gear. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts