Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the link.If it works, it would be invaluable in urban riding situations when all-out emergency brakeing would be required. Have you tried it? Perhaps by disconnecting one disc a similiar effect could be achieved. Not for hiway uses of course.

Honda has announced that by 2007 its sport and sport tourer bike will have abs and by 2010 all bike over 250cc will. They don't say as an option or standard but as standard they would be at a competitive disadvantage. Actually they said linked brakes with abs. Wonder why. I believe abs should be mandated on all vehicles. Just the other day I had to stop to avoid hitting a kid on a bicycle with my car and I was really glad it had abs. Of course those riders with the skill of VR will deplore the idea. I think the bike mags are doing a real disservice by ignoring safety issues by pandering to the macho biker syndrome of their readers.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The car folks had something similar in late 80's & early 90's for rear only on pickups.

You'll note that NO ONE uses it now and for a good reason.

There is another alternative...do a riding/track school to open up your performance envelope a bit...get the bike you want & STAY inside that envelope...or just get the Beemer.

Final modestly uninformed point: I'll bet someone out there could fit a Honda or Ducati system to whatever you want. And you would not want to pay them to do it either.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's all well and good to talk about staying inside the envelope but what if a vehicle intrudes into that cozy envelope. Bike tests show it takes 30' to stop from 30 mph. What if, as I did, you have 15'. Then what? No amount of track time/school is going to help. I think Honda would not be taking the step of providing abs on all large machines unless there was a good reason.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the question is of achieving the absolute shortest stopping distance: without abs the skill level goes way up and the possibility of error as well; while with abs (I assume from the data I have read) the optimum results can be achieved more reliably and under the pressure of impending disaster.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tuning process could result in a nasty fall it seems to me. I don't think I could ever trust one considering their obvious low capitalization. Maybe MO could road test the unit as a service to their readers.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
True. However ABS may enable you to reduce your velocity to a more survivable rate than you would with non-ABS brakes. I'd rather hit an obstacle at 20MPH than 30.

We could just spend more time at the gym and mount broomsticks to fire forward on our bikes.

Or you could install a quick release device on the Geezer Glide that would drop the engine onto the ground on a tether. Sort of like a boat anchor.

How about a parachute pack like on the Space Shuttle?

I've got plenty more ideas if you need them.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
The correct way to stop a Geezer Glide is to hit the rear brake and "lay her down" and then surf it until you get near the obstacle. Right before impact, you jump in the air clearing the barrier and land on your feet. You get extra bonus points if the scowl never leaves your face.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I think ABS would be a great addition to any motorcycle however there is a false sense of security associated with it.

Look at how many people go flying down the road in the rain or snow in their cars because they "have ABS."

·
Registered
295 Posts
ABS design is tricky. It took BMW a few years to get it right. Now more and more bikes are joining the parade. I ride an R1150RS, with ABS. I am considering getting another bike, but I really want the next one with ABS, since that little computer has likely saved my bacon, not by actually kicking in, but by letting me brake without fear on a wet road. I agree that on a dry road, on a bike with great front end feel, an experienced rider can outbrake ABS. But, you see, it rains where I live, and I ride almost every day.

I would steer clear of aftermarket ABS. Each ABS computer needs to be set up for a bike model's weight and performance. A job best left to the factory.

Francis

·
Registered
26 Posts
Triumph is going to introduce its first ABS system as an option on the 05 Sprint ST. I wouldn't be surprised to see them begin to offer it on other models if they see strong demand. And, Honda is going to offer ABS on all of their over 250cc sportbikes by 2007 and on all of their bikes by 2010 so you could always wait a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.