Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$DYE4KZAAAAFOJTZENUGXBMWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=820323%7C871994&PRID=1168704

Put one of these on there and you'll be golden. If someone can't see it, they're blind as a bat!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got GSXR with a tail trunk that's painted white on the back and on that I've got some strips of red and white reflective tape. I've ridden behind it and it really stands out.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
!- I've got an orange Joe Rocket ballsitic jacket that really stands out. You should be wearing armor anyhow.

2- You could put hard bags on it and mount extra running lights.

3- Pay no attention to the jerks who are going to make fun of you for buying a Shadow. Have a great time on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here is a great source for reflective tape of all sorts, including SOLAS.

http://www.identi-tape.com/

I have purchased from them, sevice and prices are very good. The red reflective here

http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm

lights up very well, and the red matches my vfr well enough that I was able to put it directly on the bodywork in key places but it is undetectable in daylight.

Forward fog lights, yellow especially seem to work. For style point I recommend motolights.

http://www.motolight.com/

Very functional and well made, but not DOT approved. As if I care. I had a pair on my VFR, but they were trashed in an accident.

Because of the price I went cheaper on the replacement and got the electrical connection lights with specific fitting kits for my VFR. They were much cheaper and I got what I paid for in product and service. 3 months and multiple phone calls to get them to ship. After a few weeks using them I threw out the [email protected] lights and got a pair of PIAA's off ebay which have worked out very well.

If you get a set of Givi's, get the optional brake light for the top bag. Double the brake light doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Freeway Blaster!

Fiamm Freeway Blaster!!! Riderwarehouse carries them. Mack Trucks flinch when you unleash these bad boys. Downside is you need an accessory relay to run them. The amps will likely weld your horn button contacts if you try to run them straight off the button.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Improving visibility from the rear (and every other direction) is good, although some car drivers don't care whether they see you or not. My understanding is that most accidents are from cars coming at you from head-on. I think that the rainbow or other headlight modulators would be a great help. I've also noticed that bikes with dual headlights (both on) are a lot easier to notice when coming at you. If I had just one headlight, I think I'd add some small really bright ones on each side, no matter how ugly it'd look.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Some of us never cast shadows..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unfortunatly the inatentive drivers who are most likely to clean you up from the rear will probably do so no matter what you do to make yourself more visable.I find a bright stop light is a good one.When you pull up at a stop sign or behind traffic,just ease your hand off the brake now and again so your stop light goes on and off.I think this catches approaching drivers attention more than a static light.Of coarse, the bright fluro vest can only add to your safety.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ah yes, another fine suggestion, and affordable, too. I may just install every one of these devices and look like Chevy Chase in the new movie, "Motorcycle Vacation." Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heh heh. 1) YES to wearing armor. I agree. And I'm planning to get an armored jacket with some reflective stuff included. 2) Already have TourMaster luggage, so the extra running lights are out, but I'm getting other good suggestions for aftermarket parts, as you can read. 3) Much appreciated. I rode with a bunch of nice folks a few weeks ago and nobody made fun of my Shadow...at least not to my face. I've felt very accepted in the crowd, so far.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.