Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Largo isn't too far from the Pastrana family residence. They ought to give a few to Travis and let him test out a version or two. I don't think he crashes from the right angles though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dollars to donuts 95% of all inflations occur during non-accident dismounts while trying to look cool at the Starbucks.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I guess every little bit helps, I would rather have a jacket that inflated like a balloon and lifted me away from danger, probably need a tether or something to keep from getting to high up. And a deflator valve....

Those guys in the pictures weren't real cops either, only the one guy in shades had a mustache and it was a pretty paltry one. Real cops have honking big cookie-dusters, everyone knows that. They have to grow one before they give them their gen-you-wine Po-Lice shades..

·
Registered
95 Posts
the subject is way more complicated than it seems and I find it hard to believe that a lanyard based system is going to be much good in head on impact. You need accelerator based systems like those found in car airbags.

I wrote about the Dainese jacket quite a few years ago and the technology isnt yet mature for mass production.

www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/inflate.html

See the video there, it shows just how much the vest needs to inflate to really protect you. wasnt at all surprised that the video of the impactjacket never showed any real head on collision testing.

according to what I've been told at the time, CO2 based inflation can never give the ultra fast filling time required to protect in a head on collision. Only a Nitrogen or explosive based filling system can really give that needed inflation speed= expensive gear.

-Yossef-

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I was thinking that many times if it took a half-second it would just cushion the corpse. I like research into safety and hopefully with refinement this type of gear can continue to offer ever-increasing choices for Riders.

I assume you're giving some sexy European a test ride, when you get all done, Do Tell!

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Question

Yep the dainese system is roughly 16-17 times faster. So in a head on it would be useless. But what about a highside? i.e. is this thing worth having for other types of get offs?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ooh, ouch!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
It takes a 25lb "tug" to activate the inflator. That's nearly enough to pull a lighter-weight bike over. I've forgotten to pull the cord loose on my Eclipse vest, you don't get too far or have to get too heavy a tug to realize you goofed.

I'd imagine that it gets to be second-nature to detach the cord before long.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not again

I guess everyone forgot about the multi-million dollar scam around the same product a few years ago. Apparently, because I couldn't find any articles on it besides a back issue of Cycle Canada.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does the female model have anything to do with "airbags?"

I am suspicious of anything that takes 1/2 second to inflate. I am in the gravel by then. AND it only woks if you have the requisite pull on the lanyard.

Help, I've fallen and due to my jacket I can't get up!!

Leather, back protector and riding classes for this guy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think its cool and will probably order one for next years riding season.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone,

It is easy to criticize what we don't understand!

For those who would dismiss the airbag jacket concept as ineffective due to 'slow' inflation time, you are looking at the subject from only one perspective: direct head on impacts - these are often going to be lethal irregardless of what protective gear you wear!

A CO2 cartridge based airbag jacket will fully inflate in approx. 350-400 milliseconds and even partially inflated will provide significant additional protection over a standard jacket. I completed many hours of research on this subject this past spring and now own a HIT-AIR MS TYPE Motorcycle Airbag Jacket. When my jacket inflates, it provides protection not only to the torso, but also support around the neck and to the tailbone - for complete coverage of the spine. It also has the standard compliment of CE approved armor.

I'm sure the Impact Jacket is also a quality product, but I can absolutely vouch for the quality of the Hit-Air Jacket. It is a first rate product made to very high standards.

I am so convinced the CO2 based Motorcycle Airbag Jacket can help save lives, I took the time to create a page on my website with pictures and a video review of my jacket - including an actual inflation demonstration. If you are interested, here is the link:

http://www.briangorrell.com/hitair.htm

Thanks!

Brian

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent Review of a product.

Thanks Brian. Great informative video

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.