Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great work

Thanks for the detailed yet interesting review on this product. Best product review I have read in all my 18,000 miles/2.6 years of riding. :) Pictures of snow and sagebrush made me homesick. If the snow ever gets you down just remember you could be stuck in traffic on I-5 in Seattle in the pouring down rain going 5 miles/hour with a 30 mile commute ahead of you. Home Home on the Range....where the sportbikepilot plays. Lucky man.

Give this guy more gear Sean! His attention to detail, knowledge of what is important makes him perfect for product reviews.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A bit verbose, but for once I believe a gear review wasn't written after 30 minutes of usage. Plus, it is easier to believe a cold weather review written in Utah than one done in LA county. Let's have him ride it up to northern Wisconsin next. ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
What's the story on that photo the two riders in the snowstorm? That looks scary.

Euro riders have all the best stuff as they take sportbikes seriously. Only a very few US riders actually ride their sportbikes in weather that would require that clothing. My hats off to them. Now using that stuff for snowboarding makes more sense. Especially when you are learning the half pipe. Damn leave that armor in!!!

Me - waiting for spring thaw

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is a great review. All the details that I would want to know about a product and coming from a real rider who obviously knows what he is talking about. Thanks, SPB. BTW, what is the deal with the bikes in the snow? Dont tell me that started out as a beautiful summer day.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Nice timing. We just got over 2 feet of snow here in the last few days and my xr is just looking at me. Thanks for the snow riding inspiration. If you haven't tried it, you is gonna smile and fall and fall and smile. The gear looks perfect for that sort of stupidity and I have just the brain for it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When you ride in the Rocky Mountains, that sorta thing is bound to happen sometimes (I have been caught in snow in August).

That shot reminds me of an Easter Weekend trip from SLC to Arizona and back -- great weather until the last 100 miles -- I-15 with heavy wet snow is not fun. Biggest problem was passing trucks throwing sheets of slush that instantly would freeze on our face shields!

BTY, I stayed dry inside my Aerostich -- can't say the same for my feet and hands, though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm curious what gear he replaced with the AlpineStar jacket. I've been considering a Darien from Rider Wearhouse, but now find myself saying "hmmm." It sounds like the Darien might be better ventilated and that would be of use to me if I'm riding in other than the depths of winter.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks one and all for your kind comments. To respond to your questions.

I own a bunch of textile and leather outerwear from nearly everyone and have had the opportunity to sample a bit of nearly everything else. This suit is the best I've tried for very cold, nasty, inclement conditions. Because it's not well ventilated it would make a poor choice for warmer climes but it rocks for use 43 degrees or more north.

The sportbike photo was taken about 40 miles north of Flagstaff AZ on a spring day which was beautiful and sunny 2000' lower. This is typical of the type of riding one encounters in the intermountain west and is why I pay close attention to every detail of my apparel. We rode over 300 km on very slick roads that day over various passes and high plateaus on our way back home. Dirt bike reflexes and good clothing choices saved our collective bacon.

cheers

sbp

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used an Alpinestars Lead jacket for 2 trips into BC Canada, rides into Colorado and Montana and around home until I destroyed it in a crash where it self-destructed but protected me a bunch. Highly recommend their product and have a new Alpinestars Apex jacket on order for myself now. The Apex is not gore-tex unfortunately..we'll see if it measures up anywhere close to the Lead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.