Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Heck yes! Who gives a hairy rat's patoot about the tens of thousands of semi-trucks spewing black smoke everywhere? Who cares about the 3liters per rev of exhaust gas spewed by each and everyone of the cellphone-eared braindead onstentatious dweebs in their Navigators and Hummers as they cruise down the asphalt, alone at the wheel, never to ever see actual soil (gasp!) touch their tires?

Nah... who cares about them? Let's harass the few dozen dirtbikes who dare to ride their dirtbikes a few miles on the street every once in a while.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The effect of this could be significantly mitigated if the DMV made it legal for dirtbikes without streetreg to traverse paved roads in national forest areas and such. The would prevent high polluting dirtbikes from being used as commuters, while still allowing dirtbikers to ride trails that traverse paved roads, which is the primary reason that most folks that I know get a street reg on their bikes. I'm not one to defend SUVs, but just because they guzzle gas doesn't mean that they pollute heavily. You can pretty much guarantee that a dirtbike with absolutely no emissions controls of any kind will produce quite a bit more pollution than any reasonably recent SUV, regardless of size. Still, considering their numbers, it hardly seems like it will make a dent in our air quality one way or another.

The lack of notice, on the other hand, is unconscionable. What about the poor guy who spent thousands on a green sticker dirtbike over the weekend who intended to make it street legal. His bike is now worthless for riding in many areas of California, but he can't just return the thing ad buy a dual sport.

--sam

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
As of 03 in Ca you cant even get a green sticker for your 4 STROKE dirt bike. For those out of the Know a Green Sticker is the off road license tag needed to ride your off road vehicle in a state sanctioned off road park anytime you want. Red stickers allow you to ride only when weather conditions allow for the least smog impact. Red stickers appeared about 5+ years ago on most 2 strokes but now as of this year its all off road vehicles. You have to call before you go ride to see if they will allow you to or not. The ban dirt bikes comment above is coming soon.... Oh how I love this state...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW, as soon as Kali sinks into the ocean I will be a happier man, as long as those stoopid beaurocrats go with it.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
What about the poor guy who spent thousands on a green sticker dirtbike over the weekend who intended to make it street legal. His bike is now worthless for riding in many areas of California, but he can't just return the thing ad buy a dual sport.

The ability to ruin someone's day is just the sort of thing many bureaucrats just live for. You don't think people take govt jobs for the pay, do you?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Just think of all the poor guy's who converted their Heritige softtails and Road Kings to off road use only with the off-road pipes, cams and chips, All so they can enjoy scenic vistas in comfort

Bet they're gonna be pissed

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Doesn't affect them one whit. All that performance gear is labelled "for off-road use only" anyhow.

Don't laugh. There's an old old picture somewhere of Joe Parkhurst (founder of Cycle World... lord my age is showing) scrambling on on a stripped Shovelhead.

Someone might still have the old mag. My mother threw all my old Cycle Worlds away sometime when I was overseas in '70...DRAT!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I've seen that picture. Hey what about the guys our age that scrambled on British twins? I've actually ridden a 650 BSA Hornet scrambler back when people still thought that type of bike was suitable for off road riding. VWW

·
Registered
441 Posts
"I'm not one to defend SUVs, but just because they guzzle gas doesn't mean that they pollute heavily."
I don't know how they compare to dirt bikes, but SUVs do pollute heavily compared to cars. This is because SUVs are exempt from clean air laws which apply to cars.

Someone posted earlier: if we're serious about clean air, it's SUVs we should go after.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
That's old news now

SUVs had different standards because they were classified as trucks. Most manufacturers (Ford, etc.) have made their SUVs as clean as cars.

And it's not like SUVs were super dirty. A new SUV is about 1000 times cleaner than a 68 VW bus rattling around with an Earth First! sticker on the back.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't know...

Most manufacturers have made their SUVs as clean as cars? I find this difficult to believe...

I don't question your integrity. It's just that your claim doesn't makes sense.
The manufacturers lobbied long and hard to make sure SUVs would remain exempt from clean air laws. Why would they then go and make SUVs cleaner?

Okay, I just did a quick internet search. Looks like the E.P.A. data for the 2003 model year contradicts your claim that SUVs are as clean as cars. Have a look at fueleconomy.gov.

There's also another consideration. Even if SUV emissions were as clean as cars, SUVs still put more polution into the air. Here's why...

Let's say a car and an SUV travel the same distance. Because the SUV gets poorer gas mileage, it must burn more fuel to cover the same distance as the car. So even if "polution per gallon" is the same, the SUV uses more gallons; hence produces more polution.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: I don't know...

I know Ford voluntarily did it. The manufacturers didn't lobby to keep the SUVs "dirty". They wanted them classified as trucks because of CAFE. Big cars were screwing up their CAFE averages yet the demand still exists so they tarted up some of their trucks. In essence you could say the government created the SUV because of the stupid CAFE rules prevented manufacturers from building cars people really want and offering silly GEO metros and the like that nobody buys just to keep their CAFE scores in line.

I agree with you about the fuel consumption thing. However, even these "dirty" SUVs are still far cleaner than cars of just a few years ago. It's not like they have no pollution controls as the media and the extreme left would have you believe. I think SUVs are lame too their just not "evil."

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I remember going to see races in L.A. back in the early 60s where these guys were still scrambling on XLCHs. Can you imagine how much physical strangth it would take to race an XLCH off road?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.