Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Proposed 2005 AMA Superbike Rule Changes Announced

One can only hope that allowing the top10 riders to compete in both Superbike and Superstock, will somehow encourage Kawasaki and Yamaha to compete in both classes, then and only then, will Superbike have full credibility.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Screw it Sean, there are just too many classes ..dilution of talent and bikes

It's almost as if they need to combine Superbike and Superstock and FXtreme and Supersport. i.e. have two classes (600cc and 1000cc). Force everyone to play the same game You got Factory Suzuki and Honda teams in Fxtreme and Superbike and Kawasaki and Yamaha Factory teams exclusively in the other classes. Screw it consolidate. Like there are too many NHL teams there are too many classes in AMA

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Re: Screw it Sean, there are just too many classes ..dilution of talent and bikes

I agree. Top pros should be limited to superbike. Supersport should be support with younger, less well known riders.

Note that, on top of the 4 ring circus that currently exists, they want to introduce a "spec-class".

Let's dilute the talent pool even more.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Helmet Removal Technology? Are they talking like the explosive bolt in the middle of the helmet like in F1? Don't think that will be very cheap...Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Can they do something about the tires? Hacking's tire failure this weekend at high speed (150mph+) just adds to the list of riders who survived from pure luck. It's only a matter of time until one doesn't.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its a matter of physics. The HP these bikes are putting down, combined with the (albeit minimal) extra weight compared to the old 750s, just puts that much greater strain on the tires.

The tire manufacturers, I hope, are constantly improving the design to keep those failures from happening, but R&D to the track takes time.

·
Registered
771 Posts
To be honest, I wish they would dump the FX class. In its present form, its just a gimmie to the big red.

They might as well bring back the HD883 race class.

Then they can set up a class for bergman scooters.

All the present situation gives is a dilluted talent pool in the top class, did you see how many local privateers lined up at the last race?

Bless them for trying but the AMA needs to get the best of the best in the superbike races.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
They need to do something about the Supersport class. Did you see the mess at Mid Ohio yesterday? Either restrict the number of entrants (smaller lap time window) or my preference, run a separate Supersport race for the slower privateers. It's not fair to have the top riders restart several times during a relatively short race. It also increases the chances of a factory rider getting hurt and not making the Superbike grid.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Ditto on that. They should not allow factory participation in what is most decidedly a privateer class. All Honda is doing is reducing the number of entrants in that class due to the 112% (or whatever it is) qualifying rule. Given enough time, there won't be any privateers that will able to go fast enough to stick with the factory guys.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Eliminating factory participation in Formula Xtreme I think would solve this problem, as it would encourage more privateer participation, and maybe draw some of the slower guys away from Supersport.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I think it has more to do with weight than horsepower. MotoGP, with the exception of Nakano, hasn't had this problem, on bikes with way more horsepower than AMA Superbikes or Superstock bikes.

Either way, something needs to be done, and quickly.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I doubt that the AMA guys are going to add another race to SSport races ($$$). But that was a Fluster Cluck. Their is almost no way to eliminate "Factory" teams from any of the classes. The best idea I have heard of is to have "claiming" races, where stock parts of anyones bike can be purchased by anyone else. That means, black boxes, brakes, suspension, etc. . . could be bought by anyone. No factory is going to put its trick stuff at risk of getting into privateers.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Shove your "___ for dummies" line up your ass, you whiny *****

Most, if not all of the tire failures haven't happened in hot weather. Daytona this year was only about 75-80 degrees during the tire tests when DiSalvo and Spies were pitched off.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
sounds like a DUNLOP problem to me...

from roadracingworld.com...

7/21/2004

Updated Post: Picotte Predicted Second Dunlop Failure After Rash Of Tire Problems At Mosport

Copyright 2004, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

According to series boss Colin Fraser, points leader Pascal Picotte predicted a second catastrophic Dunlop rear tire failure during a riders' meeting held at Mosport, following Jeff Williams' top-gear fall on Saturday of the double-header Canadian Superbike weekend.

True to Picotte's prediction, the rear tire on Steve Crevier's GSX-R1000 exploded during Sunday's Superbike race, throwing him off his bike at an estimated 170 mph.

Riders encountered a rash of issues with Dunlop 17-inch slicks at Mosport, with Williams, Picotte and Crevier all pitting for new rear tires after encountering abnormal tire vibration during practice.

Race organizers were so concerned with Picotte's prediction that they instructed Dunlop riders to install new tires during an early red-flag break in Sunday's Superbike race. Although Crevier's crew did that, his tire failed during the restarted race.

According to Fraser, the tires that failed are being sent to Dunlop R&D headquarters in England for analysis. Fraser told Roadracingworld.com that Dunlop officials have denied charges made by Canadian teams that the company has been selling rejected tires from the AMA series in Canada.

Bikes run in the Canadian Superbike Series are limited to 170 horsepower and are regularly checked on a mobile Dynojet dyno following qualifying and races. Crevier was docked 13 starting positions after qualifying at a previous round in Calgary, where his bike dynoed at 173.8 horsepower. Race organizers also use a radar gun to make sure top speeds reflect performance on the dyno.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.