Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If he wins in ATL expect weight to be added. On the other side of that win- HACKER! I'm disappointed in your lack of sportsmanship. It was rude and disrespectful. First and foremost, you are a Professional. Act like it.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It's on OTT. But the offensive language part was actually off tape. The room still had media in it, however. From what a buddy said Hacker had his drawers in a bunch for two days because he knew they were down on speed to the Buell. Like I said, I like the guy, but it rules is rules. Do something dumb and expect fines. Do something really dumb and expect to sit.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I don't have a problem with the different cc sizes, but if you're going to do it then add weight to the bigger cc bikes. It's the only way to keep parody.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Here's the deal. The 4 cyl 600s are about 360lbs and can achieve about 130rwhp with regularity. If the heavier Buell is putting about the same rwhp to the ground or slightly more- yet, weighs more then the power to weight (less the rider) is virtually the same. Really, I'm suprised that the 1125 was allowed. I thought the intent was to get the XB into the race. Air-cooled 1200 cc bikes vs water-cooled 3 & 4 cylinder are what we saw last year in FX. That seems a bit "fair-er". I guess with the KTM, BMW, Aprilia and Ducati (not so much this year for this class) trying to angle into the starting grid DMG decided that the 1125 should be as elegible as any other twin.
Me- I'd rather see the old FX rules with the new Daytona name. Let them build 600 cc Superbikes and have at it. The Ducati 848 was a good FX bike. The Triumph Daytona 675 is a great bike, too. They just need a real team. Put water-cooled 600 fours, 675 triples, 1000 cc twins and air-cooled 1200-1340 out there add weight to the twins & triples - and we're off to the races. Allowing the water-cooled 1100-1200 bikes to compete against 600s without adding weight to the twins is not a competitive race scheme.
Last thing we need is for the Hacker to race an eniter season pissed off.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Didn't think the 600s were up to 130rwhp?
If they are running slightly modified rules from last years FX- yes, the Ducati 848, Kawasaki 600rr and Suzuki gsxr are right at 130rwhp. Little under, but mostly. Honda was in the neighborhood and Yamaha was getting there, too. It's really not that difficult to get into that range accoding to Larry Pegram when he ran the 848 last year.
Supersort is different. Completely stock internals would mean that most bikes are in the 108-110 rwhp area. Knowing that, it's probably pretty easy to see the extra 20 ponies out of the Daytona class, huh?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
"It's the only way to keep parody."

They might currently be keeping parody, but I think they are strving for parity. :)
Saw that. Oops. Didn't even notice until someone caught it.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Gabe gets answer on the 1125 from AMA

Gabe- I pirated this to prove you are on the AMA case.
Thanks- Kirk

MD: Why is the Buell 1125R given such a large displacement advantage over other models (i.e. Inline-Fours, Triples and other Twins)? How do you respond to criticism that Buell somehow has undue influence over class structure and rules?

OD: The Daytona SportBike class is designed to allow the participation of a variety of two, three and four-cylinder machines of different designs. This eclectic assembly of motorcycles is consistent with the makeup of the class (which ran in past years under the name of Formula Xtreme, which allowed for machines ranging from 550cc four-valve, liquid cooled, four cylinder bikes to 1350cc two-valve, twin cylinder air cooled bikes). Daytona SportBike allows for a similar mix of equipment that is based on weight and performance characteristics that allow for balanced competition among a large and varying range of motorcycle designs.

Dynamometer, top speed, radar and weight testing has been conducted for all of the machines that are approved for competition in Daytona SportBike, and our experience over the first three races in 2009 has confirmed to us that we have been able to provide exciting competition among a diverse assembly of machines on a level playing field. The results from this past weekend have as many as six different brands of motorcycles in the top eight finishing positions

While anyone can criticize the classification of machinery for the Daytona SportBike class, AMA Pro Racing can assure any critics that all manufactures have been consulted during the development of the Daytona SportBike rules for competition and that no manufacturer has tried to exert "undue influence" during the development of these rules. No such action occurred and none would be tolerated.

The Daytona SportBike results speak for themselves. If one looks at the average times of the fastest laps, for the top two finishing machines from each of the brands competing in the event this past weekend at Fontana, the results indicate that the winning brand falls behind at least three other brands in performance.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If torque is winning races then why is it that the 600s stomped the 848 last year in FX. Larry's got the chops and the bike. The top-end straight speed of the 600s was better than that of the 848. Larry finished well, but the 600s had his ticket. The Aprilia is down on speed to the 600s in the current format. I'd imagine that if someone rode the KTM SuperDuke they'd be in the same boat as the Aprilia. I believe that the Buell weighs more than both the Euro brands. Torque equates to drive off corners, yes. But I don't believe that torque wins races. If that were the case then in WSBK the Ducatis would still have a huge advantage. Yet, the Yamahas and Suzukis are running better splits. And Ben has managed to put the Yamaha on the Top box 3 of 4 races.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts