Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Even though the it's not really fair. If it brings more fans into racing I'm all for it. The Daytona 200 should be interesting just because of this... Still think there should be two or possibly 3 classes. 600cc, 1000cc, and 1300cc (anything goes class).

The 1300cc class would allow turbo chargers, anything configuration but a hard CC limit to 13000. A poor man's version of MotoGP if you will.

The 600 and 1000cc classes would use a heat system of Saturdays to limit the field on the finals on Sundays. 2 heats per class, 2 final races per class.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
don't be a **** KP it will be uphill battle for Buell but lots of fun if they are close! actually biggest Yamaha advantage may be that kid Disalvo i think is coming into his own and he can't weigh more than about 130 pounds.

Kudos to Erik for giving it a shot at least. For 30k i think they are losing money. nice change of pace from business as usual attitude of big 4.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It used to exist.

Formula USA used to do this. You'd see a retired GP250 bike vs triked out Busa's vs...?? Whatever you could come up with. I thought it was the most interesting race I'd ever watched at Daytona. Guess it never really caught on. Not sure where it all went to. shame really..

·
Registered
306 Posts
What does "fair" mean?

Everybody tries to stretch the rules as far as they can--that's a part of racing. When one side appears to have a lopsided advantage over the other side, then they change the rules for the following year, or the other side adapts and overcomes. It's a constant game of catch the mouse.

I remember when Audi was dominating US road racing and officials kept making up rules and placing weights in the audi because everybody else was crying like babies--but the audi still won. They finally banned all-wheel-drive, which finally did it for Audi.

My point is, "fair" seems to only BE fair to those that are dominant so long as they have the fastest bike. As soon as they start losing they start to cry like babies for rule changes. In this case, the green flag hasn't even dropped yet and the whiners are coming out already.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Now now, don't dredge up the painfull past...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Re: Let Triumph in, too

pretty sure Duc 749 is legal and probly the Triumph too. Difference is, neither co. is willing to mount an effort. Kudos once again to E. Buell for putting $$ where mouth is.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: Let Triumph in, too

The Duc is legal the Triumph is not. The triple being watercooled would fall under the 4 cyl rules and the displacement is too big.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Fair? Ha! These are arbitrary rules. You could set classes based on how much air the engines pump (like they do in drag racing) and it would be just as "fair" as classes set by displacement.

None of this is determined by divine providence, y'konw.

Just look at what "stock car" racing allows.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.