Motorcycle Forums banner

AMA+NASCAR Say it aint so!

17K views 75 replies 44 participants last post by  mikes748 
#1 ·
Big deal dirt track racing belongs with NASCAR. Both are boring. That leg out sh@T does nothing for me. It's not like it's real bike racing.

(Okay flame throwers, let 'em fly!)

#7 ·
I'm very sympathetic to people who think NASCAR is often dumb and boring, 'cause I'm right there with ya, but anyone who thinks that the drivers aren't extraordinarily talented are nuts. They really can put race cars places almost nobody else can. Lots of them grew up on dirt bikes, kart racing, dirt-tracks, etc. Being good enough at going around and around to be in the Winston cup is perhaps boring, but it's no joke.

#8 ·
"Uniquely American, run on ovals and boring as *****" perfect for brain dead toothless hill scroggins and their progeny

If they want to see good racing they should run Speedway..........no wait a minute, thems Euro-trash and thats a durn JAP engine in there! What happened to the good ol' Har' Davis's ?

#11 ·
A stroke of marketing genius

At first I was going to make slams on ********, NASCAR dads (Bush voters). But that would be too easy and I wouldn't want to insult AMA Grand National fans. I too like dirt track racing (shocked longride?) No I think this is great idea by the AMA. Maybe they should sync up IRL or CART with AMA Superbike. I think most racing fans would actually like motorcycle racing if exposed to it, trouble is most people aren't. Motorcycle racing needs exposure anyway it can. This move by the AMA is a good thing.

#13 ·
Great idea! Anything that brings more coverage of an under appreciated form of motorcycle racing is good for motorsports. I think people that hate anything American ought to move to France or Germany where all the "superior" humans live. If turning left is so easy, why don't you try it! You could make a lot of money in NASCAR!

#17 ·
I used to go to Ascot park in L.A. for the half mile oval heats. Too bad they had to close the track.

Anyone who says it's boring has never gone to one. It's certainly less boring than huge race tracks where you only see about 20% of the action.

Hey, that's just like the same suspects who hate motorcycles they've never ridden, much less owned. Typical.

#19 ·
said Bober. "Also, each series is just a great show delivering some of the most competitive racing in all of motorsports."

Has he actually watched a NASCAR race?? I watched both NASCAR and IRL this weekend and the IRL race had, well, racing, not just a long train of cars.

I did like someone's idea about Superbike and IRL or CART, they probably have about the same fan base.

#20 ·
WOW. Lots of badmouth coming from people who probably never even attended one flattrack race. I have been going to flattrack races since I was a kid, and I didn't know I wasn't supposed to like it. Thanks for all the enlightenment from our informed and open-minded MOrons. Watching great racing and then sitting in the pits talking with untalented riders like Kenny Roberts, **** Mann, Cal Rayborn, Mert Lawill, Ricky Graham, Chris Carr, Nicky Hayden, just to name a few, really sucked. No talent bums for sure. Personally, I'm glad most of you stay away. Less crowds, low ticket prices, and the ability to wander through the pit areas make flattrack racing one of the best values going. I'm sure I be at Rt.66 watching some great racing. Either that or I can sit home crying about how everything sucks. Nah. I'll go to the race and you guys stay home.

#21 ·
Like it or not (and the nots seem to be carrying the day) NASCAR is a marketers dream come true. Check the demographics of NASCAR fans and you will be surprised how diverse a group of enthusiasts they are. Many of those "red necks" can buy and sell most of the MO readers and many have educations and vocabularies that would shame the MO populace. Don't like their sport but don't insult them either. And if the motorcycling world can gain a percent or two of the NASCAR fan base, you and I will enjoy better motorcycling. Some of these responses have been disturbingly snotty. Make yourselves feel superior have you? And no, I'm not a particularly avid fan of NASCAR but do watch an occasional race with my son. He likes it. I like him. We have a good time.

#22 ·
Pretty boring group of rides you mention. I know I was bored to tears watching those guys in On Any Sunday. You want to learn how to ride fast on the street, learn to ride fast on the dirt. I promise you, you won't be bored and you will be a dirt track fan for life. Thanks for a differing perspective.

#25 ·
I heard somewhere that the easier something is to do, the harder it is to do it really well. Circle track racing is like that. Many years ago I was offered a ride in a very low level circle track car racing dirt oval. I already had racing experience, but the introduction to circle track was genuinely humbling. I would suspect that the same experience would be common to club road racers making the transition to dirt track. Just cause it looks simple doesn't mean it is.

#26 ·
You people out there slamming NASCAR really are clueless. Fact is, it pretty damn difficult to get a 800 hp 3400lb car to turn into a corner at 170. Yeah, the fact that NASCAR cookie-cut the cars and tracks does take some of the fun out of it, but the fact is that NASCARs audience world wide far outstrips ANY motorized sport. So it ain't just ******** checking out 500 miles of left turns. The reasoning behind the AMA flat track date makes sense. Whatsmore, AMA will turn out a lot of people for their race and gain new fans in the process. So, after they tally the reciepts and rake in the green backs who's going to look like a bunch of wankers? Surely not you sportbike guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.