Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Something along these lines has been in the works for a little over three years now. The original concept was a sort of manufacturers' cup series. Factories would be encouraged to offer contingency and limited sponsorship support to privateers. ADBA & AHDRA were approached with draft proposals (rules, classes, tech specs, etc.) but all the sanctioning bodies expected a finacial commitment - up front. Significant disagreement at the factory rep level doomed those efforts.

I'm pleased to see that AMA and Yamaha could make this happen. As I recall, the proposed classes were to be for 45-55 degree (pushrod) V-twins (2000cc or less displacement limit) and a class for 90 degree (OHC) L-twins (1500cc or less); street legal configuration, self starters, gasoline only, no wheelie bars, and street tires. No elasped time (ET) brackets, just race to win! and both standard and pro trees (finals). At the end of the season, the manufacturer whose product was most often in the winner's circle would be awarded the manufacturers' cup for that year. Riders would amass points (AMA rules) toward the championship.

In retrospect, since Yamaha does not yet offer a 90 degree L-twin, I doubt anything but the 45-55 degree V-twins will be legal for competition. I wonder how Aprilla would fit in (60 degree V-twin)?

Incidently, the marketing gurus feel this concept (drag racing) is very likely an extremely popular (and profitable) endeavor; especially in North America... Run/win on Sunday - Sell on Monday!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Never underestimate...

...the amount of money behind any version of NASCAR; and there most certainly is a point - Commerce! money, cash flow, receivables, profit margins, etc... The tracks make money, winners take purses, vendors sell, and more motorcycles are sold to the public who were duly impressed by the performance exhibition of some manufacturer's product.

And I agree, the Confederates (right off the showroom floor) will likely set the benchmark for performance (mid to low 11s in EPA/DOT approved trim/state of tune). If the rules allow flowed intake/headwork/exhaust, a competent pilot can play in the 10s consistently.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well Keith...

...you're right if you're reffering to an inline four with low weight and mega-power, but that would have to be a different class - and you'd have to be running in the mid to low 9s to be competitive.

But this AMA/Yamaha endeavor is limited to V-twins; and perhaps only 45 degree pushrod motors... we just don't know yet - I've not seen any rules or specs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doin' it in the Dirt!

Actually Honda marketing & advertising gave flat six sales a major boost a few years ago when they produced a commercial for TV depicting an agressive rider power sliding a Valkire around on a dry lakebed. Massive roostertails of Mother Nature's finest obscured the horizon until the WFO Valk powered sideways off stage right... awesome! Honda damn near sold out of Valks in sixty days...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your opinion is..uh.. appreciated..

..but in the interest of peace and harmony, it may be wise for you to avoid events frequented by those you elect to so eloquently criticize. Some people may be a tad sensitive to such remarks... if one had the temerity to so communicate thusly in person.

A very wise person one opined that "a closed mouth gathered no foot".. or was that a "..booted foot.."?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts