Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only company who wouldn't be pleased by this is Ducati who have a pretty small AMA racing presence.

Honda runs the CBR954RR in Japan Superbike now.

Kawasaki probably intends to come out with a new ZX-10R in 2004 so the timing is good for them.

Yamaha and Suzuki are obvious what they run.

Maybe Ducati will produce a homologated V4 engine like their motogp bike to race in other series.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Twins, Triples, Fours, Fives and Sixes could all be competative under this formula. The current 998 / 999 Ducatis and VTR/RC-51 Honda twins are faster than all of the four cylinder bikes, in Superbike trim. peak HP by itself isn't going to win you any Superbike races. I'm guessing there will be a "Sweet" spot for each configuration and the manufacturer who finds it the quickest, will be running at the front.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Forced to agree

A nice simple formula. Set the displacement limits and let the chips fall where they may. Even better would be just plain up to 1000 cc instead of 901-1000 cc. If the 750s can compete, let them.

Power to ground delivery will be the key for the big guys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watched the Formula USA racers navigate the track in the rain at last year's Bikeweek without any major crashes or injuries. I'll agree that Loudon is not as safe as many of the newer tracks, especially the ones not shared by Nascar. I wish NHIS owner Bob Bahre would make some recommended changes for rider safety, but with all of its problems, Loudon still safely hosts lots of racing. Penguin racing school is always packed and the Loudon Road Racing Series

produces some great races.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any one else see read in 'motorcyclist' where that guy put a Busa motor into a GSX1000? One main problem was that since the motor was so wide maximum lean angle was small and therefore corning speeds were slower. If you limit everyone to 1000 cc's you are favoring multicylinder engines due to metal fatigue limits, but if you remove all displacement limits and minimum weight limits then and only then will you not be favoring any particular design. Fact a 1300cc twin will lap faster than 1300cc inline four due to higher corning speeds. The best way to establish parity with current technology is by limiting tire contact patch size.

·
Registered
356 Posts
not really, the Vtwin superbikes still lap faster then the FX bikes. Horsepower rarely wins races....

·
Registered
356 Posts
its not F1, you cant limit contact size on a bike in any meanangful way. it is already at a compromise between contact patch size, and curvature, so the biek will actually turn. True that in F1 parity is reached partially through tires, but that simply keeps EVERYONE's overall speeds down.

if you are suggesting to reach parity through different sized tires, that seems kinda ridiculous. What, does a 1500cc V twin have to wear a 120 rear or what??

and also, your assumptions about lap times and engine configurations are situational, at best. Ok, less ground clearance for the inline, right? Tell that to Rad Greeves who is making a busa FX bike again. TO counter the width you can raise the motor in the chassis, and also raise the chassis itself, hence things like rear ride height adjusters. voila, instant lean angle.

But in reality, that isnt even neccessary. you see the guy who put the busa motor in the GSXR-1000 frame was doing a hack job, not a real racing effort. people also put the busa motor in a GSXR-600. But this surely limits their ability to ideally locate the engine within the chassis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

Isn't diversity what makes motorcycles great? If the rules favor a single type of design, the bikes and the racing will resemble NASCAR (all the cars look and sound very similar). Motorcyclists are very diversified, such an approach would be alienating to the fans. Visit the parking lots of any AMA Superbike event and you'll see the evidence. I've seen many different configurations, in particular twins such as the Aprilias, BMWs , Ducatis, Hondas, Harleys, Moto Guzzis, and Yamahas. The twin configuration has to be included. This configuration is too well represented within the sportbike and cruiser segments. It may be the configuration that outlasts all the others.

Thank,

YellowDuc

·
Registered
780 Posts
The twin configuration has to be included. This configuration is too well represented within the sportbike and cruiser segments. It may be the configuration that outlasts all the others.

Yes, and there's nothing in the rules to keep them from competing. Several posts above point out that they are currently more than competetive racing in the litre-bike classes.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sounds cool.

Y'know, you're right. Why make the lower limit 901? It seems odd, espically considering the ZX-7R can only be bored out to 800, and the ZX-9R will have to be bored out to 900+ to make the regs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't current displacement of the ZX-9R only 899cc's?

I hope to watch Kawasaki compete. I have a dream sportbike, and that is a ZX-9R bored out with the Muzzy kit and roughly 15 to 20kg lighter (30 to 40lbs). That would rock. Does anyone know if you can bolt on a singe seat subframe off of a ZX-7R? Help keep my dream alive!

--The Fox, TMinus 7 days

·
Registered
730 Posts
Elecra Glide Challenge!

Seriously, this would actually make a highly entertaining series. My questions are about saftey, primarily concerning parts breakage (fairing and bags would splinter if they crashed, right?). And what kind of mods would you allow? I mean, you got to let those big twins breathe!

Prize could be displacement in CI in cash for a win, with 1/2 that for 2nd, 1/2 of that for 3rd, etc down to about 8th place. Prize for the series could be a big, pimped out Ultra Classic in two tone purple and silver paint with a ****load of chrome and gold mag wheels! Hellz yeah!

Air filter, intake, carb, exhaust, and seat. Fork springs, oil, and brace; replace rear shocks. Removal of top box, but not saddlebags. Tape headlight, remove turn signals, rear light stays. Rearsets? No windshield, for saftey? I don't think much else should be allowed; let's keep this inexpensive.

I would seriously be entertained by this, be real fun to watch and cheap to get into too (as far as racing goes) But how do you get all those Harley dudes to wear leathers and helmets? Bah dum chhhh...

Comments welcome. Maybe would could send this idea to Harley...they did it in Europe with the 883 Sportster challenge.

--The Fox

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why wait until 2004? The '04 proposed rules should have been proposed last year for the 2003 season. The only excitement this year with AMA Superbike is going to be watching the Bostrom Boyz battling it out.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: Elecra Glide Challenge!

There's a local race track here that does train races (three cars attached end to end racing against other trains) and boat trailer races! (cars pulling boats on trailers). It is always the last event and makes a huge mess on the 3/8 mile oval.

It's a red-neckin' good time at the Cajon Speedway in San Diego.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.