Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I don't see any manufacturers who went belly up from the burdensome costs of emissions cleanup.

Naturally since, in reality, it is you the consumer who ultimately pays for everything. All costs are passed on to you.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
That's the way it's always been, my friend.

Too bad that every other system of government is worse.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Cruisers seem to be making noise for the sake of making noise, not for the performance.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Freer flowing pipes on a cruiser with proper jetting does increase the performance, just like it does on a sportbike. Both are substantially louder. Your excuses don't change the fact that sportbike guys put on louder pipes than necessary for the purpose of "look at me, I'm noisy" just like the cruiser guys. And their pipes are loud all along the powerband, not just "above 6K". You probably can't tell any more since your own loud pipes have deafened your own hearing.

Certainly the handful of horsepower gained on a sportbike serves no purpose anywhere but on the track since you can't use anywhere near the bike's stock potential on the street. And not 5% of these loud sportbikers are going to any track, since there's not one within 400miles of where I live.

By the way I do find overloud pipes irritating, whatever kind of bike sports them. I just don't have this cruiserphobia that makes me distort reality.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Forget what you learned in college. It is mostly Keynesian crap designed to fool people into supporting insane govt spending. If those professors actually knew anything about real economics they'd be millionaires, not college professors.

All costs eventually fall upon the consumer. Every single one. All taxes, all social security contributions, all fees and regulatory costs fall onto the consumer. All those multimillipn dollar civil suits are paid by us, not the deep pocketes companies.

Anyone who tells you that "business pays" is fibbing to you.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
They don't like SUVs because that is the current propaganda line carried by the press. SUVphobia is the latest press-created cause-of-the-month. THe PR artists speak and the lemmings line up to jump into the sea.

Did you know that the president of the Sierra Club at the time that the Sierra Club came out against SUVs personally drove a Suburban? You see, these rules aren't meant to affect the elites.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
In written comments submitted to the EPA on Nov. 20, the AMA also stressed that the proposed rules should continue to allow for the installation of after-market products, and allow owners to work on their own motorcycles.

This is the most worriesome thing in the article. How many here are aware that the EPA is actually proposing the outlawing of all owner maintenance? Yes, even oil changes. (Someone might throw their old oil in the landfill, so everyone must be punished.) You would be required by law to take your vehicle to an approved licensed maintenance facility.

They've even tried to outright ban all cars older than 1975. Fortunately a lot of congressmen and senators are themselves classic car owners and deep-sixed this one (for now).

Another proposal is to design the computers on cars to put the vehicle into a "limp mode" if any pollution parameters fall out of a narrow range. This means that if your check engine light comes on your car will suddenly be unable to go over about 50MPH and you will have to take it to a dealer immediately. In this case it could be a sensor has quit working, but the car is not actually polluting. A very common occurrence. So far the industry has dodged the bullet on this one, but the EPA never gives up.

The ultimate purpose is to put us all on buses. Then we untrustworthy subjects, er I mean citizens will be "safe" and free from "mischief".

Personal freedom makes governing a nation so difficult, doesn't it?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I don't know how we got off on this noise thing. I like a few decibels of noise, but not enough to violate the old-fashioned noise ordinances. There is plenty of blame to spread around about loud pipes. I do hear more cruiser types with loud pipes, but this is probably because you can get their pipes much much cheaper than you could a decent 4into1.

Remember the "less sound, more ground" campaign in the 70's? Well most of us quieted our bikes but they still closed the land to us.

Remember how the manufacturers agreed to stop building 3-wheelers (after 60 Minute's bogus hitpiece)? Well the anti-ATV people only saw that as a success and redoubled their lobbying efforts to get ATVs banned completely.

I guess my point is that, though I may disagree with the AMA on many things, they still are our most effecting lobbying group. Like the NRA I hold my nose and send in the bucks, because no one else is going to fight as effectively to protect what rights we still have.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Of course he was successful. He got the governments to buy into inflationary economics thus ensuring his own investment success.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Nah, we'll never get together. It's too much fun putting down the other guy's ride.

And if you don't like the AMA's stance on helmets, naturally you should reject everything else they do to promote our sport.

Isn't that logical?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: We must take a stand to save our planet

Here in Utah we experienced a reduction in Wasatch Front pollution due to the cleaner late model cars. So what did the State do? They allowed the polluting industries to increase their emissions, thus returning to air to the maximum sate of pollution that they can get away with.

The EPA allows big polluters to avoid improving their emissions through cheapcrap scams like when Dow buys up a thousand pre-1975 cars and junks them and scraps them. Dow now gets to avoid expensive pollution reduction costs. And some EPA officials get a nice fat retirement job as a reward.

The EPA's going after bike pollution is like a cop writing speeding tickets while Ted Bundy is prowling the neighborhood. They play on our consciences while the real crooks slide on by.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Ha ha

Or for only $3000 for a used one. Now there's cost/performance.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: The current leader of the EPA would say you are wrong.

Bureaucracy always grows to encompass all within reach. Remember the EEO's attempt to introduce workplace rules that would ban people wearing religious symbols or bibles in the workplace? Unless there is someone paying attention and alerting people of these idiot ideas then these ideas will pass.

When Whitman is gone the same career wacko bureaucrats will still be there to carry out their personal poltical agendas.

Its not conspiracy. Anyone who's worked for the govt knows that they are smart enough to do any real planning. Its just human nature. Or haven't you seen the homeland Security Act?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: That Sounds Like Utah

Currently I live in Sandy. I moved from Los Angeles (where I was born) in 1982 to escape that State's growing assault on personal freedom.

Now I can camp and fish and plink and ride to my heart's content. I don't miss L.A. and its stinking freeways one little bit.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Be Careful....

Someone please, please explain to me why four wheelers are still legal.

Cause the media hasn't gone after them, yet. Just look at the sheeple blathering about SUVs. The only reason they are screaming about SUVs is propaganda. There's no reason to be any more p.o.ed about an SUV than there is over a pick-up truck or a nosecandy-snorting-trucker controlled big rig. Yet look at all the vitriol over SUVs.

It's media driven and the lemmings listen. Our legislators have shown little backbone when confronted with media driven hysteria, especially when it's "for the children".

And if you've been paying attention you should have figured out that it is very dangerous to let bureaucracies operate without a lot of watchdogging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts