Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
That we sure do. The price was passed on to me with my Cat equiped BMW. Still lays down over 100 hp to the pavement, no complaints here...

Ive been on the fence as far as joining the AMA, rallying for more brown air isnt going to get my support I must admit.

Bring on the Fuel Cell bikes!!! Talk about smooth, no need for a counter balancer. Once we go to electric motors what is the twin vs. triple vs. 4 banger crowds going to argue about?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Wow, I just visualized how quiet things would be if we were fully converted to fuel cells. What would the Harley crowd do? Tape industrial strenth playing cards in the spokes?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Honestly what makes more noise in your neighborhood, a race piped sportbike or a drag piped cruiser?

Most sportbikes arent offensively loud till above 6k rpm. Add in tall gearing and if they do romp on it they are about 3 blocks away within a few seconds.

Cruisers (changed from harleys as the metrics around here are getting pretty [email protected] loud to) are low geared, normally take a hell awakening blip on each downshift. Then a couple blips while looking each way at a stop sign and finally roar off shifting two or more times within your block.

Now a piped Ducati (or other performance twin) is right in the middle. Louder than hell but still high enough geared to get away quickly.

Granted it seems the majority of sportbikers add a pipe, but I do see a good number running stock. Now when a quiet cruiser goes by I take notice, its so few and far between they do stand out. Ive seen / heard about 2 in the last six months or more.

Cruisers seem to be making noise for the sake of making noise, not for the performance. If someone is honestly interested in performance they wouldnt be on a cruiser. Then again I was laughing out loud today when I left work. There is an R1 with a pipe and carbon fiber all over it with about a 2 inch chicken strip on each side of the tires. I thought they were new tires at first but now its been a couple months and nothing has changed. Can you say squid?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
While I love stirring the pot, most of the people on this thread agree that the AMA is on the wrong side and not "taking responsibility" for our actions. Apparently we don’t really care for pollution. Yet you mention Noise pollution and suddenly everyone is A OK with it.

We b!tch and moan about how the cage drivers have negative views of us and are always out to kill us. Well guess what, the more you pi$$ someone off the worse it gets. Why would our Gov or any nonrider take our community seriously when we go out of our way to pi$$ off as many people as we can. Nonetheless the AMA lobbying for more brown air and the removal of Helmet laws. When I hop in my wife’s cage I have to put on my seatbelt, it’s a law. Yet I don’t see AAA leading the charge of cage drivers up to the state capitol trying to get it removed. Nonetheless all those cage drivers running uncorked headers on their drive to the capitol.

I guess most of us have our heads so far up our a$$'s that we cant hear our loud pipes any more. Trust me, all your neighbors within a 4-block radius of where you happen to be can and do you think they like it? Now just think how many of those people have the right to vote. Do you now see our riding freedoms leaving as fast as I do?

My above post is addressing noise in neighborhoods (WHERE THE VOTING PUBLIC LIVES). You mess with people in their homes and there is going to be trouble. As Longride admits he is running OPEN pipes on his bike. I have not seen one single sport bike running a completely uncorked header on the road, yet many o cruisers are. I'm not saying modified sportbikes aren’t a problem; they are loud and annoying too. Yet the higher pitch they emit doesn’t penetrate walls half as bad as the low booming of a v-twin. When you are rattling plates in a housewife’s cupboard, your not making friends.

No seruzawa I'm not deaf from my own loud pipes, I don’t run them. I can’t see how $500 - $1000 for 5 more HP on the top that I don’t need is worth pi$$ing so many others off.

Come on people, take a little responsibility.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
More like $20k after tax and all the other [email protected] List was $17,199. Though its not the cat that costs that much. Take a close look at every CA approved metric cruiser, they are all running them. You'll notice a nice fake chrome piece making it look like a long low pipe but upon closer inspection you'll see the flat black actual pipe being diverted beneath the bike, into and out of a cat. Also the MMI commercial on Speed shows a student removing a cat'd system from a metric cruiser. Most any bike sold in CA is already there, so whats the big deal? Oh wait, S&S, West Coast Choppers and the like are the issue. Talk about special interests...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts