Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow first post! Cagers won't be happy if they have to pay even a tiny bit more to cover our sightly higher mortality rates. After all insurance is based on statistics.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Leave it to the Bush administration to shaft the consumer by favoring business. Having run up a $30,000 medical bill because of injuries in a crash on my CBR600RR I can attest to the hugh importance this legislation has to riders.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Choices...

We choose to engage in a "slightly" riskier endeavor. We should have to pay more. I would rather the AMA put it efforts into parity in the courtroom...

·
Registered
152 Posts
not suprising, as a member of the military I find myself in much the same boat, in order to take part in activities such as motorcycling you must take the msf course every 3 years, and wear full safety equipment, long pants and shirt, over the ankle boots gloves and a dot legal helmet regardless of local ordinance, oh and one of those dumb reflective safety vests. (ask any construction flager how well they work shaking a cager out of their celular induced coma) I have heard some horror stories of members denied medical coverage or being reprimaded in the event of a crash when they had not taken the safety course. The problem with the whole deal is with the insurance, the company takes your money and then spend half of it figuring out ways not to cover you in the event you try to collect on your policy, then when they do pay out you get jamed with the bill in the form of higher premiums. It's legalized (and legaly required in most cases) extorsion.

putting an end to frivoulus lawsuits would help the situation

and thats todays rant

I need a beer..

·
Registered
107 Posts
ok lets look at all "unhealthy activities" fat folks while nice enough shouldn't be covered for a myriad of things drugies shouldn't get ssi for a "disability" smokers I mean if were going to be exclusionary lets go all the way. It's crazy to say that if I am a fat crack addict that drank I get coverage but because I am healthy use a legal form of transport that I am uncovered what stupidity we have wrought upon ourselves this is what happens when we allow the commies to run things. We must take up arms against this tyrannical government so we may instill democracy and freedom for all. Ahh whatever

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Uh, Bod democracy is tyranny. Our forefathers specifically set up our government as a republic to avoid the much feared "tyranny of the majority. H.L. Mencken commented on the separation of church and state this way, " Democracy is a religion. It's the worship of jackals by jackasses." VWW

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Current favorite quote

"An election is a sort of advanced auction of stolen goods" -HL Mencken.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This is what the AMA should be doing. Good work AMA

Your are absolutely right edward44. Notice Bush backers, that Clinton signed the bill, then as soon as the Bush Admin gets in they yank the law's teeth. Currently I have to buy more insurance on my bike policy cause of this. Good work AMA. This is what the AMA should be doing instead helping to repeal mandatory helmet laws.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This is what the AMA should be doing. Good work AMA

Your are absolutely right edward44. Notice Bush backers, that Clinton signed the bill, then as soon as the Bush Admin gets in they yank the law's teeth. Currently I have to buy more insurance on my bike policy cause of this. Good work AMA. This is what the AMA should be doing instead helping to repeal mandatory helmet laws.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can see both sides of the story. I get a better rate on health insurance because I am willing to get an annual checkup, don't smoke, and keep myself in good condition. Also, recognizing the hazards of riding motorcycles, I wear good gear to minimize the effects of falling off. I also ride within my limits and don't stunt.

On the other hand, insurance was originally set up to spread the risk, whatever it may be, among a lot of buyers. Without that sort of coverage certain risky businesses (like maritime commerce in the 15th century) would never have happened.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner."

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
nolaandy, this will be one of the few sensible posts on the subject.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Re: Help, MO Staff. Help!

Grab the shotguns and the Twizzlers and head for the hills?

·
Registered
579 Posts
What a load of crap.

We have the fun. We take the risk. We pay the price.

Using the force of the government to make someone else pay for our risks is wrong.

Buncha commies.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I agree with you there, but if an insurance company is going to deny benefits for "risky behavior" then they should inform the subscribers up front and charge a higher premium. To take someone's money under false pretenses is BS.

I'd like to see the financial connections these "regulators" have personally with the affected insurance companies. I think I know what I'd find.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
However..

You make a good point. However, most motorcyclist assume that the health insurance provided by their employer. Indeed, that was the intent of the bill signed by Clinton. However, my wife checked with my employer sponsered health plan and like the article said, they said they would not pay if I was injured on my motorcycle. However, they would pay if I was injured rock climbing, snow skiing, surfing, white water kayaking... You get the picture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.