Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a Harley lover, BIG TIME! I am also a fine artist, working mostly in graphite (pencil) which is a perfect medium for drawing motorcycles and anything chrome or metallic.

About 2 years ago, I began work on a life size drawing of a chopper. I just finished it a couple of weeks ago and IT IS AMAZING!

I am known for my skill in super-realism and mastery of graphite (pencil), and I am not disappointed in the creation of this work. I have won national honors in competition for other works, and expect this drawing to do exceptionally well.

"American Metal" is a large piece, approximately 19 x 24 unframed, and is drawn very near to scale.

The original is currently competing nationally, and will compete locally in the Metro Atlanta area through the Summer and Fall.

"American Metal" earned "First Place" from a panel of jurors, and "People's Choice Award" out of 90 entries in it's first open competition in April.

I am currently selling a giclée print of the original on eBay. The item number is 170216133697 if you would like to see it. The small image just doesn't do it justice.

Giclées are the finest art reproductions available, and are printed on fine art archival paper.

I would love feedback from anyone, and especially any suggestions on marketing prints of this piece. I would like to put an ad in a motorcycle magazine but not sure which one to go with.

The original will likely never be sold. I spent way too much time on it to make what it is worth to me. But I suppose everything has price, so who knows?

Thanks all,

Shannon Davidson

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
artwork

Thank you very much!

Most of my artwork has been commissioned, a lot of portrait work or special projects. I only really started competing in 2006.

I do work in other mediums like oil and acrylic, and some color pencil, but I love graphite.

Some of my recent projects include:

A winning entry in a statewide competition for a new license plate design for Georgia (Honorable Mention)

A "Best In Show" in December for a graphite drawing at a local show judged by two very well known artists and critics

A request to present one of my paintings to the Georgia Aquarium for a project they were considering (Penguin picture below)

Placed third out of a field of more than 1500 entries in a national competition for my graphite painting "Eyes are the Windows" (below)

Currently I am putting together a portfolio to present to some galleries here in Atlanta. The motorcycle drawing took so long to do that all my other artwork had been put off.

But I really enjoyed the chrome work, so decided to use that as the theme for this portfolio. All my subjects for the portfolio are reflections in chrome, and will have the flag somehow worked into the subject.

My goal is to see how far I can push graphite. The Owl painting is actually graphite dissolved and painted onto canvas, a technique I invented. I am still trying to perfect the process though, to make it usable by other artists.

I just enjoy creating interesting subjects, especially things I know other people would enjoy seeing as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Thanks again. I love any input.

Shannon

Attachments

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
LOL my dad used to joke around and tell people he was Harley's brother Phil. He and my uncle both had Harley's when I was growing up.
That joke wouldn't have flown with a real biker dude. Harley and Davidson are both last names of the founders of the MOCo. He could say he's Willie G's brother though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not at the moment. I want a custom chopper, but will have to wait until I am rich and famous. :)

I have a friend who builds custom bikes and does the graphic work, and I am hoping he will show me how. I would LOVE to learn how to do that. If he'll teach me I want to do my own design.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Hello all,
I would love feedback from anyone, and especially any suggestions on marketing prints of this piece. I would like to put an ad in a motorcycle magazine but not sure which one to go with.
KLAZY KEN NOW HELP YOU SELL ART PRINTS OF AMERICAN CHOPPAS!!!

Here is Klazy Ken marketing strategy:

1. We dump this "pencil" thing. WHO WANT STUPID PENCIL DRAWING??? My kid draw picture of motorcycle with pencil, nobody going to buy that crap! Quality what you need is, black velvet. You ever use Blendy Pens?? You make thousand colors, with just 12 pens. Very classy, this is future of art, Klazy Ken says.

2. You need to promote yourself more better! Ok, so you win contest, get a few ribbon. Pot-bellied pig Ling Ling win ribbon at County Fair, BIG DEAL. We need hot photos of you painting black velvet wearing sexy undawear. SEX SELL, neva foget dat. Look at Motorcycle.com, dey got de idea hea. BTW, we gonna bump you login name up 1 numba. Get attention!

3. We need money to start ad campaign right away. First ting is trip to Bahamas on my yacht to promote velvet art at big Walker's Cay Fishing Rodeo. Yacht owna got lots money, dey always looking for someting sexy to hang in cabin. Can you get $20,000 by Wednesday? Call you parents, friends, this you big break, GET BUSY!

That all for now. You send money chop chop!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
That Nazi helmet behind the handlebars blows the whole thing for me. At least it sure looks like a Nazi helmet. People can ride anything they like. But when I see those Nazi beanies my trigger finger starts to twitch.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Noticed that too, eh? I wasn't gonna say anything, just said to meslef: "Slef, yore prolly just'a seein' thangs agin".

Like that time I imagined a Spaceship full O' aliens landed in my backyard an' kidnapped an' sexually-abused me, or that one time last December when me an' Peter an' Lucy an' Susan was all'a playin' hidey-go-seek an' I hid out in that there wardrobe in the spare room an' found this Secret Country all-shrouded in ice an' snow an' ruled by a Wicked Queen.

Hoo-Boy! I tellya' - sometimes a nip or six O' that Jungle Juice shore does go to yer head!

Besides, Cocaine is a heluva Drug, too...............

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.