Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be great if they were successful. It's always fun to have more options to look at.

But, unfortunately, they will probably be more expensive, less reliable and end up a poorly run company.

Any idea as to how much it will cost to buy American from them? 15-20 grand at least, right?

Oh well, it would be nice if they surprised us with a solid bike of any engine size for under 10 grand.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Don't dispare people. Fischer tried originally to develop a v-twin 1000 cc motor. R&D became and issue and Hyosung appeared to have their sh*t together with the SV fighter Comet motor. Remember, the Hyosung engineers are ex-Suzuki engineers so the motor should be just as sound. These guys are using their talents on frame and suspension R&D. Don't laugh about the motor, either. There are, at least, 5 euro companies that outsource motors. In any case, the Fischer guys will have to sell the bike at a price between Ducati's SS800 ($8400) and the Buell XB9 ($9900). Otherwise, they will be shut out of the market they want. I look forward to them selling bikes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"... Fischer guys will have to sell the bike at a price between Ducati's SS800 ($8400) and the Buell XB9 ($9900). "

A small company (probably privately financed or venture capitol-backed) manufacturing motorcycles here in the USA will have to sell their bikes for way more than $10k just to break even, let alone be profitable. Even if they're not building thier own engines, the startup costs, engineering and manufacturing costs, getting EPA and DOT approvals, setting up dealer networks, etc, is enormously expen$ive. Look at what happened to Indian and Exelsior Henderson.

Don't forget that at first, they will be selling small volumes until they can get a decent market share. People aren't going to start snapping these up like CBR600's. I do wish them luck though, they'll need it.

BikerVince

·
Registered
1 Posts
not a good sign when you fill out the request of info investor page...hit the submit form button...and a page not found error pops up.

Hmmmm...got some work to do guys. Plus that Hyosung motor? Not sure on that one.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Gee, frame looks kind of...er..familiar.

An American sportbike company? Pshaw.

Somewhere in Ohio John Penton's ears are burning. Too bad they didn't use a Rotax for the motor.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Bad, over-paid, undermanned and incompetent management killed those companies. Indian could have easily sold those bikes for $15,000 or under. The tooling was paid for when Indian bought CMC's factory. Exelsior was run by two of the worst dummies in the industry. It is entirely possible that these bikes can sell for $10k or under. The motor is (more than likely) bulk sold $1000 a piece- the suspension (Ohlins sells theirs forks and shock for average of $2000 bulk). So, if $3000 is tied up in motor and suspension then R&D ties up the frame for roughly $2000-2500. Plastic $2500-3000. $2000 for electrics and FI. WOW- a bike for $10,000. All startup companies operate at a loss for at least 18 months. Once suppliers are paid for the dirty work then cost of supplies come down. It's entirely possible for Fischer to sell these bikes for sub-$10k.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ha! Good point... I know I want to drop a lot of money in a start-up that can't afford to have someone update their HTML. Tell you what I'll do- if someone gives me 1 million dollars, I'll build them a sportbike. If you want, go in with your friends to defray the cost. Hell- I'll do a "buy 1, get one free offer" if you mention this posting. I'm sure I can get a good frame and engine from China or something. Or maybe I'll sub it out to those OCC guys...

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
So the poor sob's have a bad internet host. e-mail the standard mail system to let them know. Hyosung sells bunches of bikes in Korean. They stole Suzuki engineers (and I'm a Yamaha fan) but the guys build good bikes. Just give them a chance. That's all an American wants- right?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If Rotax gave them the same deal on the Aprilia v-twin motor that Hyosung gave bet they would have.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It uses the Hyosung v-twin motor the same one, uh Hyosung sells to compete against the Suzuki SV650.

Sooo, this MRX is going to have to sell for less than $8000. Or you can just buy the Suzuki, Hyosung or new Kawasaki 650 for less and use the extra cash to upgrade the suspension, unless you have to have that Fisher styling.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Way Cool!!!! They need to beat their web site people though. (as someone mentioned above) "Coming in 2004" That should impress potential investors?

"God willing", I truly hope they make this bike a reality!

Sadly, in my area of the world, Buell is suffering badly. Our Morgantown dealer, Triple S, just gave up their Buell franchise. I was there today trying to get a look at the xb12x. They told me "Buell just didn't sell". Very sad.

I wish these folks better luck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
$10K of component costs?

Now mark up to cover things like plant and equipment, salaries, business overhead, sales/marketing expenses and hopefullyu some day a profit... and the bike needs to sell for $25-$30K

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm thinking that if I were starting up a motorcycle company, I'd shoot for the current hot (and more forgiving) market - high performance standards. The high-end sportbike market is exceptionally tough, with no room for anything that doesn't test within a coupla' tenths of the latest-greatest.

In the standard market, the focus is on well-rounded usable performance, with room for many variations on a theme. If the MRX doesn't come out of the gate at or near the top of it's peer group, look for it to go the way of the Triumph Daytona 600. What was a disappointment for Triumph would be fatal for a one-motorcycle company.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've done some reading on the Hysosung GT650. While they sell for just about $700 less than the sv650, you can find previous model year new bikes for sometimes as little as $4500. All the user boards i've found have had nothing but praise of the engine. Only problem anyone has is finding maint parts since Hyosung is fairly new in the US and the dealer network is still a little thin.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Everything I said takes into account the cost of production in parts. Do you really think that Suzuki can produce the SV for $6300? If the answer is yes then it surely is possible for Fischer to produce a bike for sub-$10k. When tooling is paid for and suppliers are taken care of then cost reduce and profit becomes easier to obtain. If they get this company off the ground it will take betwwen 18 months to 30 months but that company will become profitable. I stand by my business sense. They will sell for sub $10k. Bet a beer on it.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The US HQ is in Norcross, GA. By the time they release the new cruiser they are working on the parts will be there waiting. It the dealer network that they need to build. It will be there, too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.