Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Japanese manufacturers = wimps

Is this the only way that the big 4 will get involved with the public lands debate?

The big 4 should be doing so much more.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What is the deal with the public lands controversy?

3 and 4 wheeled ATV's (mini-jeeps) have done more to destroy recreational trail riding than anything else. The easy access to the woods for any cretin with a few bucks has made any area open to riding look like a moon scape. As Rick Sieman said, " The best thing about ATVs is, any idiot can ride one. The worst thing about ATVs is, any idiot can ride one."

Ask any forest ranger or land use professional. 3 and 4 wheelers have much more negative impact on the land than off road motorcycles. Unfortunately, ATVs now outnumber off-road motorcycles significantly.

I don't know how old you guys are, but "trail-riding" used to be a ubiquitous, fairly benign activity. Riding single-track vehicles through the woods left very small impact on the landscape, and there were fewer riders in there attracting attention. The wider ATVs, with less mature riders have decimated many miles of good trails. Indeed, the Forest Service in most places will not allow the establishment of trails on public lands that will not accomodate "mini-jeeps".

It sucks. I hate ATVs. Nothing I can do about it though. They have destroyed the sport I love, and there's no going back.

I truly believe that the days of riding the trails I love are numbered. 10 years ago, I didn't think I'd be doing this by now.

*sigh*

Guess I'll have to take up something else.

Pete P.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.