Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Idaho 21/75. Start in Boise and go north on Idaho 21 through Stanley, a small mountain town. Get on Idaho 75 and go south through Sawtooth National Recreation area, through Ketchum and Sun Valley. You can continue South to Twin Falls and back to Boise in I-84 or you can cut east on Idaho 20 for a ride through rolling hills and high desert to I-84 and back to Boise on the interstate. Or If you want a really long ride, go north instead of south on 75 at Stanley and go up through Salmon to Missoula Montana.

The only cautions are that 21 near Boise is down in a canyon and it is fairly heavily traveled between Boise and Idaho City, a small old mining town. Take care because cares have been known to take the turns wide. The other is that this is Idaho not California so there is a dearth of guard rails on the mountain roads.

Either of these rides will give you spectacular mountain views, much of the roads are not too heavily traveled and there are small towns along the way for gas and grub. There is a large elevation gain as you get into the Sawtooth mountains. Watch for the "county Mounties" more so than the State patrol because there are more of them on the smaller state roads. The people in Idaho are friendly, we have a lot of riders so come to Idaho for some beautiful riding.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Book

Pick up a copy of "Motorcycle Journeys Through California" by Clement Salvadori.

It has been an invaluable resource for me and I've done most of the trips in it except for the few in the far reaches of Northern California.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Highway 229 in California. This is a short 8 mile road between highway 41 and 58. It's a super smooth road that winds through rolling hills and oak trees.

Highway 58 is the better known motorcycle road, but 229 is my personal favorite. Every time I ride it, I feel like a kid getting off a roller coaster at an amusement park. I just want to immediately jump back in line and ride it again.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
LIAR!!!

;^D

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: Book

Funny you mention that. As a young lad, my grandfather, dad and myself would hitch up the fishin' boat and drive from LA to Crescent City in the summer to go salmon fishing.

I know Crescent City better than I should!

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
You should stay in California, that's where all the best roads are, weather too. Up here it's just 50 and raing cats and dogs right now, not fit for man nor beast.

I did get to see if my new Aerostitch Darian pants (in Hi-Vz Yaller, thank you) were water proof..(they are) and comfy... (that too) but overall it's just nasty out and really, it's like this almost all year. Don't know why we put up with it really....must be nuts.

On the plus side I'm probably faster in the wet than most of you pikers on dry roads...but I digress, no nice roads here...I hear Utah's really nice, you might try them. Just stay out of their mountains and meadows on your duel sport. They're funny about that I guess..

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: Book

You should direct that apology towards my saintly mother who was forced to sit in a KOA campground with three young daughters under the gloomiest skies imagineable while the men went fishin!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You should be fine in Utah if you ride a "duel" sport. Dual sports might be a problem. I find that wearing a .44mag Blackhawk solves most of those pesky problems.

Better to just avoid Utah altogether. Who on Earth would be interested in seeing Arches, Canyonlands' White Rim, Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome Basin, Capital Reef, Goblin Valley, Monument Valley, etc......

Under no circumstances ride through Logan Canyon. What a bore.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The Loop- N. GA. Get on georgiasportbike.com and ask anyone the route. It treks through 5 counties and 4 state and us hwys. Very cool.

ALL of US 129 From Cleveland GA through Deals Gap. It's gotta be 100 plus miles of very smile friendly riding.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Keep this up and you must be killed.

Everybody else, pay no attention to this troublemaker. Idaho is nothing but a bleak desert, parched in the summer and desolate as Anarctica in the winter. If the crater pocked wagon roads they call highways don't get you, crazed Neo-Nazis will. Remember every negative thing you have heard about Idaho and multiply it 100 times and you will begin to get the picture. Tell your friends to stay away, too, for their sake.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I hear they're pretty picky about spelling too....

I've only ever drove through there on my way to visit my ex's crew in Oklahoma. Pretty place from what I saw.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: East-Central Missouri

* Highway 94 from St. Charles to Hermann

* Highway 185 from Washington to Potosi

* Highway 32 from Ironton to Bixby

* Highway 100 from Linn to Washington

* Route T in Ellisville, continuing to Route V to Union

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.