Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey

My ex wife may be moving to Boise. I'll give her your number.

The boy is coming to live with me 100%! Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
..."seeking a financial partnership to begin production of the Rv1000"...

This is the hurdle that nearly all garden shed manufacturers can't seem to get over. They should consider building S&S engined choppers to help fund the project.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ouch!

Aw man, I thought we were friends. It was the 9/10ths scale model comment, wasn't it :)

Boise, eh? You want I should pull some strings to get her an intro into the local meth commune.

You gonna bring that boy of yours up here this summer for the MO rendevouz?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I looked at the Highland bikes, made in Sweden & I'd compare them to the KTM 950, the big adventure bike niche. The engine is suberb for its intended use.

I can't imagine that Barley/Buell would ever go outside the company for an engine, they'd contract some expertise maybe (ala Porsche) but not a whole design... but hopefully the mystery twins powering those not-so-secret XB-based test mules back in Wisconsin will be this good.

Rumor mill has it Buell will have a major new product intro this summer.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The carp is probaly a better analogy. It might meet some coeficent(sp) of aerodynamic friction requirement, but dang its ugly. I do like the clean purpose built look of most of the rest of the bike.

I hope they can get the dry weight to 335, with that HP to wt ration it should hall pretty good.

THis is all bench racing though, they have a long row to hoe before it ever gets into production.

Heck, there are some neet ideas floating around the bike world right now, old brands coming back, new guys starting up, even HD making a sport standard type bike. I like the variety out their.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah, it might be an SV1000. Those are just flying off the shelves these days. In fact, they are so hot, the dealer will give you about $2000 off to roll it out the door!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I didn't mean to knock Highland, it's just not the country I expected a hi-performance street bike engine to come from.

Nope, no foreign engines for Buell. You just can't call it the "American sport bike" or some similar thing when the motor is foriegn (even though most of us here think it doesn't really make much difference.) Suspension, yes. Brakes, yes. Wheels, yes. Controls, yes. Chassis? Maybe. But the engine is the heart of the whole thing. I really doubt Harley/Buell would ever completely outsource engine development

I'm hoping to see that Buell major product intro to which you referred. What have you been hearing?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Gee and I thought the fact that it had a modern, liquid-cooled Japanese engineered powerplant would have made it perfect.

Hmm, what do I know?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The engine looks cool, and I certainly like the idea of a light and compact v-twin, but I wonder how realistic it is? KTM seems to have designed something like what Roeh is trying, but if it made sense to make something like the Roeh, why didn't they do it? Maybe an engine needs to be bigger, heavier, and more complex to have real-world water and oil passages, etc. I have a 996 motor in my Ducati monster that clearly could benefit from some cleanup and downsizing, but I don't think Ducati designed with the attitude of "Let's just make it big, heavy, and bulky - who'll notice, anyway?" I know the Testastretta design is an improvement in both appearance and size (of the heads, anyway), but I think the Roeh may be trying too hard to make it simple.

What's the old saying? "Every complex problem has a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong." Or something like that.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: What global warming......

Boy, that's terrible it was 70 here the other day, now it's back to 55 and sprinkles. You need superhuman endurance to ride in this kind of weather.

Not many can take riding in the Brutally Punishing Pacific Northwest winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's this obsession with V-twins overthere? Just because it is a V-twin doesn't make it American, nor does that make it nessessarely good. There are lots of reasons why one would pick a particular engine configuration for a particular application. So why does it have to be a V-twin every time? Or does the lack of directly comparable configurations make it easier to hide imperfections under the cover of "character"?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.