Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was checking out the Highland motors web site and noticed that the have a listing for their demo bike. Funny, I've never heard what happens to the demo bike fleets before. I'd be scared to buy one, even though MO treats the demo bikes they get like a mother treats a baby. Afew of the print rags don't seem to be as gentle. It would be like buying rental car. You know how you've driven them.

http://www.highland.se/home/

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Well, I doubt it's that easy. The whole bike is essentially one unit; the engine is a stressed member, and the swingarm is attached directly to the motor. You've got a whole boatload of variables to deal with (engine length and fit being one biggie), so while I'm sure if you payed someone to do a ton of fabrication, it's possible. But then you've screwed with Eric's holy trinity and you really don't know what the result is going to be.

But it certainly would be interesting to find out, huh?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Another(?)

"From the workshop of Roehr Motorcycles comes a machine that embodies the true passion and thrill of... a scared guppy!"

Besided it's horrible styling (from any direction), it isn't even really American. Motor, suspenders, wheels, brakes, etc. The whole thing is foreign. Why can't Americans just build our own sportbike that doesn't bite in most respects?!

American built sport-ish bikes are to "real" sportbikes what performance-oriented SUV's are to sports cars: They are marketed as having good performance... "for an SUV." If you want real performance/style/reliability (at a realistic price), get a real sportbike. Not something assembled in America.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I figure a lot of engines are stressed members so mounting another engine wouldn't be all to much trouble. Especially since you wouldn't need the vibration damping mounts for the Sportster motor. I forgot about the swingarm mounted to the engine though. Hmmmmm,....well, nothing that money can't solve.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Since performance is all important then the looks shouldn't matter. I mean, isn't sportbiking all about the fatest bike not the prettiest one? I mean, if it's not about the fastest bike then everyone who buys a sportbike based on looks is a POSER!

As I recall from physics, the most aerodynamic subsonic shape is a teardrop. Therefore all sportbike fairings should look like teardrops! All fairnings that are angular are inferior and the owners thereof must avoid the Burger Barn until they correct this gross error!

Unassailable logic!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not if it looked like that. One of the reasons I bought an XB12S is that I like the streetfighter, minimalist look. Not by any means the primary reason, but I'm not interested in bikes smothered in plastic. (I also considered the Brutale, Monster & SV650...liked the Buell's ride best overall.)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Man, by the time you get done figuring stress (vertical, horizontal, lateral, rotational and shear-force) on engine components, you'd probably be to tired a broke to ride the thing.

But, I gotta admit, I'd still love to see Buell use the KTM RC-8 engine (Oye, I should live so long!).

·
Registered
955 Posts
The SV1000 isn't as sharp-focused as some of reviewers wanted, but that doesn't make it a bad bike.

It's still one of my top (Hey, I could actually swing the finances) five; and it's also one of the coolest blank-slates around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice concept, but that styling is about as attractive as Roseanne! The $25,000 asking price is a joke. MV Augusta and others can get away with that, because their products are sexy and eye-catching. Something the Roehr is NOT!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Re: Burger Barn Review

Well now it seems like it unfairly favors bikes by allowing them TWO extra cylinders.

I guess I've been reading your posts for so long I though every Japanese bike was perfect.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'd love to see it, too. Unfortunately, I think we've got a better chance of seeing porcine aeronautics.

Let's hope old Eric has got something special up his sleeve.

As far as converting a current XB to something other than Sporty-powered, I have to agree with you. We're no longer in the days where you could stick a Triumph engine in a Norton frame without too much trouble. Seems the Buell was designed around that motor, maybe even moreso than a lot of modern bikes. Obviously the factory could make the proper adjustments and figure out all of the variables without too much trouble. The guy in his garage, even with piles of money, might have a more difficult time making it work.

I also wonder if when they put a more powerful engine in the XB, say 120 hp and 80-85 ft lbs, if they might have to consider changing the steering geometry a bit. Hmmm...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Considering the price-point,,and market, Roeh seems to be aiming at, it's hard to understand why the bike is being presented as it is. Boutique bikes need to create an emotional response like a reclined supermodel wearing Versace begging you to have sex. Unfortunately, the bike on Roehs website looks like it's saying: Hi! My name in Betty and I work in accounting (For $25K, nobody wants practical).

The MV we were all dooling over, back in November, had a paint-job to die for and looked like it was dressed in Sable. So, Roeh better start spending some quality-virtual-design-time, or his bike is going to be about as popular as a hooker with sharp teeth.

Pitching a boutique bike, I'd want to know walking-in: men will be grabbing thier crotch, women will be squiming, and the Rubber Tree in the corner will be shivering. And, just to be sure, I'd have a thermometer to see if the room-temperature goes higher.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If we rode what we can actually ride, most of us would be on EX500s with smiles, instead of gritted teeth.

The Britten was a wonderful illustration of your tear-drop example (ain't much to look at, but she goes like Hell). I've often wondered why no manufacturer has ever crinkled the paint, like the surface of a football, so they can say, " Even The Paint-Job We Gave Our Bikes Makes Them Go Faster!" (it's not like they haven't tried everything else, and it might just help).

Man, there's nothing like something that really works. But, for 25-grand, road-rats like me won't be buying bikes like the Roeh.

BTW, your talkin about that SV with the $2000 discount has me asking my cat where I can get the money, so Thanks a Hellava Lot!

Kevin :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Re: Burger Barn Review

No doubt about it, Suzuki screwed the pooch; the SV should have been so-much more.

And, while I understand your power concerns (SV vs. In-line-fours) given a $1K price reduction and a bit more character, and Suzuki would have had a winner. So, what thier marketing and engineering departments are doing, you tell me and we'll both know! But, offer me a $9000 bike that's comparible to a Tuono, and I won't EVEN listen to my cat.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Well, if nothing else, they've got a good tag-line "We Pronounce it ROAR! It's Not a Tradition. It's a Constant State of Mind" (Damn, I'm good! LOL).

You'd think that they would have, at least, run their website picture through a digital paint-shop program, if they're looking to pull investors.

This is a perfect case where the marketing guys should take the engineering department out and get then totally-wasted on some good weed, so they can communicate (don't know why they don't teach that in business school).

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.