Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hollywood just doesn't get it. A biker movie doesn't need an outlandish plot or unrealistic action -- give us some characters we care about, some machines we want to see and a plot that makes sense and we'll be happy.

Biker Boyz was no good. Not because there's no biker culture like the one protrayed in the movie -- come to the Northern Liberties Circle K in Philly to see that -- but because it was so damn ridiculous. Stretched-frame, nitrous-running rice burners racing on dirt roads? Come on.

I hope Torque doesn't do the same dumb stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw a preview for this movie...and yes its another ridiculous outlandish makes no sense motorcycle movie....in one scene the guy slams on his breaks and kicks off a tree to do a 180 and then rides a bike down a street and blows out all the windows on the cars....and also apparently you can jump your bike at like 100mph and land perfectly...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was one of the many extras for a part of this movie filmed in the small town (population 1,200) of Piru, California. I even got to drive around with a guy filming the documentary of the making of Torque on the back of my Valkyrie. He was a big guy and I had to drive slow. I was wiggling so much we had to make another pass that I was able to do better on.

I too bet it sucks, but maybe I will see some Valks and/or familiar faces in the background. This is yet another flick that I will wait until the video comes out, which shouldn't be too long in coming after the movie is released.

RtLt

First post, woo-hoo!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think that the bike that blows out the windows is turbine powered. A guy in Lousiana makes them. Still BS, but I see where they were going with it. Did you notice the guy who turns around to shoot his pistol.....with his right hand. Amazing the bike didn't slow down.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Another far fetched stupid one. Stoppies in the dirt, on street bikes, car jumping without helmets, oh boy, no wonder the cagers think we are stupid, suicidal morons.

Some day we will be legislated out of existence, and this type of crap is just another nail in the coffin

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Motorcycle movies met their zenith with the release of "The Born Losers". It's all been downhill since. I mean, how can you surpass Billy Jack vs. Jeremy Slate?

Unless it's "The Losers" where Hell's Angels mount machine guns on their handlebars and ride around Vietnam rescuing POWs while pulling wheelies to shoot the VC out of guard towers.

Or what can top Joe Namath on a chopped hog beating his nemesis on a BSA 650 on a dirt track race? Unless it was Ann-Margaret as eye candy riding on the back.

CGI effects and modern screenwriting simply can't compare to the breathtaking concepts of these all time classics.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Whose tires?

First it was Mission Improbable 2, now Dorque.

I cannot get anyone to tell me where I can get offroad rubber for my Triumph. Obviously the Daytona doesn't suffer any worse handling because of them. I wonder how my Sprint with bags would handle off-road.

Hey, now there is an idea for a MO comparo!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can accept a little cinematic BS in the name of entertainment, but what's really sad is how the moviemakers go only for ignorant thrills that turn off part of the core audience who wants to see bad-ass hooliganism on the big screen.

In contrast to Biker Boyz and Torque, look at the Ducati chase in Matrix Reloaded. Sure, it's out there, but it captured enough real (looking) motorcycle physics to make my jaw drop. Of course, having Carrie-Anne Moss straddling a 998 didn't hurt, either. Yummy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Or maybe when Jean-Claude Van Damme stops the back wheel of his Bonnie with his bare hand in Nowhere To Run. Extra cheese factor because he could have pulled his coat sleeve over his hand instead of using his bare skin.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Or maybe when Jean-Claude Van Damme stops the back wheel of his Bonnie with his bare hand in Nowhere To Run. Extra cheese factor because he could have pulled his coat sleeve over his hand instead of using his bare skin.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was mostly disappointed with that one because it showed a Ducati unable to outrun a goddamn Ford Crown Victoria. And hey, at least with that one you know already that it's not taking place under the constraints of the laws of physics, but rather in a big computer with the cheat codes turned on. ;)

The 180 stoppie up a tree on a sportbike in the dirt was just f$cking stupid. And that's just what they put in the preview! I can only imagine how much worse a whole 1.5 hours of this is going to be.

I agree. There are enough people out there who can actually do things that look impossible, that I'd really rather see an action movie that features a plot that happens to involve some of that.

Here's a possible (more) realistic scenario... Our HERO is on his gsxr-1000 chasing the BAD GUY, who has kidnapped the LOVE INTEREST. Racing across the Bay Bridge, HERO gets stuck behind some traffic. He pulls his gun but cannot get a clear shot around the cars in front of him. He hauls a massive wheelie, stands up on the pegs, and fires left handed over the tops of the cars, taking out the rear tire of BAD GUY's car.

Now, thoroughly improbable, sure. But a good stuntrider could hoist a wheelie, find the balance point (thus not needing to keep accelerating massively into the back of the cars in front of him) stand up, and do all of it one handed, to boot. (They do one handed stoppies, right?) Now, I'm not a professional screenwriter, but I only spent 2 minutes coming up with that scenario above, too. Given a bit more time, I'm sure I could find a sufficient number of more probable scenarios which allow the protagonists and adversaries to use stunt riding to their advantage, on top of a realistic, semi-layered plot.

Hrmmm. Maybe that is what my next movie should be about.

-Kawazuki, occasional executive producer

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.