The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe this insane prosperity for Harley has made us awestruck. Who'da ever thunk that any company could be this successful this long selling, basically, two motorcycles? Apparently HD's imminent demise, as predicted by the usual infallible savants, has been greatly exaggerated. We may be in a recession, but HD would never know it.

HD has certainly been able to find what people want to buy and make it available for them. I'm just afarid that I'll be old and grey before I can afford another shovelhead basket project... er, maybe older and greyer would be a better depiction.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...and all those pristine condition Knuckleheads gathering dust in old farmers' barns in the midwest!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope so because....

....we're all lined up right behind you!

The only problem is that we've been waiting for Harley's bubble to burst for about 20 years now. It's worse than waiting for bread in a Soviet Supermarket.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You never heard that rumor?

Back in the early 70's I used to visit Dean Lanza's custom shop in LA. He'd built one of the bikes used in Easy Rider and always had some nice choppers for sale. He claimed that he got ahold of old panheads and knuckleheads by travelling in the Midwest each fall and always found some old bikes in decent shape for cheap.

I think that they are all snapped up by now. Or those farmer's who, contrary to popular belief, aren't the least bit dumb are charging what the market will bear like everyone else.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Did you catch idiot's post below? Apparently he hates HD because they sell their bikes for more than it costs to build them!! The Japanes would never do that! They are altruistic organizations who provide motorcycles for below cost, naturally.

ROTFLMAO!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Who thinks that HD is exempt from the principles of supply and demand? Certainly not I. Quite the opposite. No matter what the economy is doing the demand for HDs remains high. Most companies only wish they had the level of demand for their products that HD has.

The Superglide you mentioned is below MSRP. So maybe the demand isn't as high as it was. But look at all the deals the Japanese are offering to keep their bikes moving. Doesn't seem that HD can go along like this forever, but they just seem to keep on selling and selling and selling. Without any special giveaways or finance deals.. at least around here.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Re: Midnight Rider! Was yours the distant thunder heard in the night?

ROTFL!! Thanks for the best laugh all morning.

I always did like British humor.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Re: Another bad review for the new Firebolt (reality check)

Heh heh. Japanese bike partisans should be careful about comments about cracking frames. GoldwingGoldwingGoldwingGoldwing.

This clown Kook is simply unbelieveable.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ohnonononono.. you have it all wrong. According to MO's resident expert prognosticator only 50-something greyponytailed babyboomers are buying Harleys. All those 30-somethings you see riding them are only figments of your imagination. (sarcasm off).

And you are absolutely right. Then end of the boom doesn't automatically man a bust.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The old nasty Seruzawa would have made some comment about needing a moving target at the range for practice before Elk season.

The NewConvertedInoffensiveSeruzawa says that he won't compete with Buz for the dubious honor of keeping the Wooden Cowboy.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Re: plan of action

Why is it that Buells don't count as a sportbikes?

If that's the case then Ninjas, Katanas, Guzzis and Ducatis aircooled series aren't sportbikes either.

So, what does constitute a sportbike?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Re: Another Record? Buy a 57 Chevy and make me happy.

Don't be too hard on Cap. Sometimes its hard to resist. I've given in and read a couple of Kook's posts myself today, even though I swore never to again. There is a sort of macabre fascination in observing the ravings of the insane.

It's one of those basic human failings we all have. Like sitting in the theatre all the way through "Gigli" or "The Thin Red Line". You know it sucks real real bad, but somehow you are compelled to sit through the torture to see how it ends. It's the sort of sick compulsion that makes you stand and watch an infommercial with the guy with the question marks on his jacket, even though you know full well you are completely wasting your time.

It's like picking at a scab or worrying a sore tooth. It hurts, but you are compelled to do it anyhow.

Nobody's perfect.

Excuse me, I've got to get home and watch that ad for "Girls Gone Wild" again.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Re: Another Record? Buy a 57 Chevy and make me happy.

Heh heh. If you look further down you will see Kook claiming that any motorcycle that doesn't have a sub-11 second quarter mile isn't a sportbike.

I guess the owners of the Ducati Supersport 800s and Guzzi Lemans models are going to be surprised to discover that they are riding cruisers. I guess that also makes the new Suzuki GS500F a cruiser also.

We also discover that since Kook's 600 Ninja isn't capable of a sub-11sec quarter mile he is also riding a cruiser.

Someone should welcome Kook to the ranks of the brotherhood.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

I suppose you've ridden one enough to know, right?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
The list goes on.....

Other bikes that aren't sportbikes:

Ducati Supersport 800

Suzuki SV650

Suzuki SV1000

Suzuki GS500

Suzuki 600 Katana

Suzuki 750 Katana

Guzzi Lemans

Kawasaki 600 Ninja (Kook's bike)

Kawasaki EX500

Honda VFR

Honda Dream 50

Yamaha RD series

In fact most of the factory GP bikes of history like the old Norton singles or the Guzzi V-8 or Honda's and Yamaha's GP bikes of the 60's weren't sportbikes. Mike Hailwood won all those races on cruisers!!

Only about 10 real sportbikes have ever been built throughout history. All those supposed racers of the past, Phil Read, Jim Redman, **** Mann..... they were all posers!

Kook is truly insane.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·

You must be as happy as wrecks.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Re: Scowl

Could be. Any proximity to Kook generally causes a sudden and precipitous reduction in IQ.

In any case the opinions of such squids are valuelss, since they never seem to live long enough to matter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts