Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't own a Harley, but I admire what they've done and love the fact that an American company has fared so well against the Japanese. Nonetheless, let us recall that a couple years ago, dotcoms that had never made a dime saw their stock prices going through the roof. Many said we were in a "new economy" that would never go away. Where are those people now? Unfortunately, Harley's bubble will eventually burst, probably within the next year. Then I'm gonna git me that FLHT I always wanted for $12K.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: I hope so because....

The key to their continued success seems to be the foreign market. As much as people hate our foreign policy, they love our culture, and nothing symbolizes it more than an H-D. If they have four more record quarters, I will eat all my words, sell my Triumph, buy a Harley, and become a member of the faithful.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Some produced products, some didn't. Evidently, the distinction between "products" and "durable goods" is lost on you. Nonetheless, not producing a product is seldom a bar to success. For example, the Harley dealerships that have been getting rich for the past 20 years don't produce any products. HDFS doesn't produce any products, either, and look how much money they're raking in. I wish Harley-Davidson continued success. I just hope they don't go bust and wind up looking ridiculous. Although, I'd love to get my hands on an FXD Dubya-G for around $12.5K.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The difference is simple: While all durable goods are products, not all products are durable goods. A software package that a company licenses or sells to another company to enable it to take orders over the Internet is a PRODUCT. But it is not a DURABLE GOOD. Get it? Many of the dotcoms sold products made by other people, while they themselves produced nothing, e.g., eBay. Just like H-D dealers and HDFS. Get it? I don't really think I can make it any simpler for you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: One MO Time

There are abundant examples of dotcoms that produced products. I worked for one, it was called IQdestination.com, and yes, it is out of business. I sincerely hope you didn't waste too much time locating that quote from Todd Defren, as it does not address the issue of product manufacture, and is thus in no way dispositive. The quote applies with equal force to Harley-Davidson, which relies on eyeball traffic in its showrooms and on the street, as well as on the Web. I admire your enthusiasm for Harley-Davidson products, but your arguments, while passsionate, lack logic, credibility, and even a shred of evidence of critical thinking ability. You are walking proof of every stereotype applied to H-D owners: belligerent, ignorant, foul-mouthed, and narrow-minded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts