Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
agree to disagree

Let's just all agree that:

a: Harleys are pieces of crap. Period. That includes Buell.

b: That's the way they will stay because they have a distinct and loyal customer base who don't want them to change.

It would be cool if Harley could build a competitive supersport bike, but, unless they throw billions at developing one, they will be forever playing catch-up. It wouldn't be profitable for them, and surpise!, Harley Davidson is a business whose primary goal is to make money. Nobody is forcing you to buy their crap, so don't. Keep blowing past them on your Japanese bikes which you know are infinitely better and cost less. Harley owners love their bikes and I admire that. Hey, ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: agree to disagree

Hey I don't claim to have put a lot of miles in the saddle of a Harley, but I've tried a couple of sportsters and an xb9r and I really couldn't fool myself into believing that I was having fun on them. I'm just saying that I admire those who can.

Why would somebody spend 30 grand (price of a fatboy in canada) on a motorcycle that has poor performance, shakes like a cat sh1tting razorblades, and p1sses oil all over the place? I'll tell you: For the name and the image. NOT BECAUSE IT'S A GOOD MOTORCYCLE. Harley's competition will never be able to generate that image, but they will continue to sell superior machinery at a lower price.

*never overestimate the intelligence of the American consumer*

I might be singing a different tune once I've tried a V-rod, but honestly, you can't really give HD all the credit for engineering that machine.

Suzy and Schlongrider: I bet you guys think Nascar is really cool.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: Best post here

I've ridden bikes that were quirky (Multistrada) and slow (monster 620) but they were still a ball to ride. However there is no excuse for unreliable and unrefined in a 10k + motorcycle.

·
Registered
235 Posts

I haven't ridden a fatboy, but I've parked beside them at stoplights and the motor looks like a Home depot paint shaker. A narrow angle v-twin needs counterbalancers. Aprilia knows this, HD doesn't care.

·
Registered
235 Posts
HD may not discount products, but they don't sell their products, dealers do. And the last couple HD dealers I've visited are still sitting on piles of brand new 2000MY inventory. They'll almost pay you to take it.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Well I'll be damned. THe twin cam 88 motor IS counterbalanced. I'm just never quite fully prepared for an internet flame war. But I did successfully p1ss you off. Also in my research found out that fuel injection is an option. I guess 30 grand is a good deal for a fatboy. You even get a brake on the front, a headlight, and as the website says, "fat wheels". HOly crap. I wonder if they'll take my VFR in on trade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts