Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
You have now started down...

the road to your perfect bike. You're entering the world of aftermarket and customizing.

In other words: Start Wrenching.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It would be good. They may sell one of them.

The ST13 makes that sort of power already, but is a step down from the touring equipment of the RT (I know someone with both). A CB13 with all that gear would be more like a KZ1300.

Try to get BMW to make an RT version of the 1200S....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably not going to see an old-fashioned chassis and brute-force low-tech engine like the CB in a new sport-touring bike (esp. with the ST1300 already in the lineup). The FJR is probably more what you're looking for if it needs to be an inline.

Or you could just wait a few more months for BMW to bring out the GT (or possibly RT-badged) version of the new K bike chassis and motor... it will be a major leap forward from the CB/KZ, and will most certainly have all the BMW touring gadgetry you like in the R12RT... not to mention ridiculous power and suspension.

Frankly, despite the brilliant new 1200 boxer motor, I think the R-RT sales will plummet when they do bring out the K touring bike, which might be why they're delaying it...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the FJR and ST1300. I think I know why Honda doesn't put all the extra electronic gadgetry on the ST but what's Yamaha's problem? I ride coast-to-coast and year round so I want a stereo, cruise control, and some heating options. Yamaha could offer some of that and still beat the price of an ST! Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Uhh, isn't the ST1300 the direct competitor to the RT-BMW? About the only thing the BMW has that the ST doesn't is the stereo system in the US (although the fairing has setup for the stereo, there just isn't one installed.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
What the world needs is a small 'personal' touring bike. Well relatively small, near liter say. Like the last generation ZX9 with near sit up and beg postition, and tall screen. Another 30 pounds here and there to make them heavy duty, streched an inch or two on wheelbase. Oh, and no midrange enhancment in tuning.

An easy way to put on a substantial rack and maybe hard bags but for sure low enough pipes and low width in the back to make soft bags doable, well.

Sort of like my old beloved KZ750E with a Slipstreamer, but a lot better. OK, that's ideosycratic and nuts. Sorry.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good answer!

Now let's see if they made a motorcycle like my old, with a seat like my and handlebars just so and with that nice purple color, you know the one, with gobs of power, handling just like the and all the good stuff like when I ws a kid. Just Ride Baby, just ride!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
re R12 sales drop post K12RT release? Won't happen. BMW folks will keep buying flat twins until the cows come home.

However you may be correct re "conquest" sales. But then the R series was never a conquest bike, either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
electronic cruise, heated everything, electronically adjustable suspension, trip computer, better suspension and handling (subjective, of course)...

its all reflected in the price, but I'm just saying those are the features I believe the original poster was desiring...

·
Registered
31 Posts
re: heating options, cruise control, and music: FJR or ST1300

I have an ST1300 myself now. You don't need heating options on an FJR1300 or ST1300. Both of 'em roast your nuts and legs.

As for cruise control, a ThrottleMeister is a decent approximation for the superslab drone, it just doesn't adjust for hills, where you probably shouldn't be using it anyway.

Stereo is an option for the Honda, but you have to order it from Europe or go aftermarket. A small mp3 player and Etymotic earplugs works fine on just about any motorcycle, though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
re: small 'personal' touring bike

You just described the VFR. I loved my '98 with Givi WingRack.

I also had a WingRack on a Bandit 1200S, also a great 'personal tourer', but a bit more upright riding position and better touring motor, in my opinion - not as peaky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.