Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Duke Hypermotard and the Buell XB12STT i really like the motard style but i may be driving 120-180 miles a day to work for the next 6 months i would like to have bags.

Anyways. any opinions on to two? Which would YOU have? any reason why one, or the other is a horrible choice?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
That kind of miles? - Honda Pacific Coast.

Only, you'll have to buy it used.

It's the minivan of motorcycles. Oh sure, people will think you're all stodgy and nerdy at the Rally's.

That is, 'til you show up with a trunkful of ice-cold beer............

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
That kind of miles? - Honda Pacific Coast.

Only, you'll have to buy it used.

It's the minivan of motorcycles. Oh sure, people will think you're all stodgy and nerdy at the Rally's.

That is, 'til you show up with a trunkful of ice-cold beer............
Then you will be the stodgy, nerdy guy with the beer! :-D

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I've ridden 'em both and either one would be a fun way to get to work. You might have to find a comfort seat option, as the Duc's seat is narrow and hard to permit hooligan antics.

The Hyper is a very tall motorcycle so hopefully you can get your toes down. The mirrors fold in for lane splitting.

In my opinon, the Hyper is way better looking that the TT with those odd "number plates" hanging off the side. The Buell will be cheaper to maintain.

I almost bought a Hyper but didn't want to sit on a waiting list (at the time) and got offered a heluva deal on a GT1000.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Your Duh! button must be stuck. The answer to your question is the MultiStrada. Mr. MTS1100 or his cousins the MTS1000 (used, obviously) are the cross over bike you seek- grasshopper.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
120-180 mpd?

You're going to want something that'll protect you from the elements. Fatigue may (literally) kill you.

My answer is neither bike. I'd recommend a Sprint ST (I know, you are all shocked!) for long distance comfort, great fuel economy, low maintenance and utility (you can hang hard bags and top box on them).

I prefer the '02 through '04 version, for looks and comfort, and to a lesser extent, the bags are much better.

You can find them on eBay or Cycletrader every day, usually less than $5K.

My other suggestion would be a big Suzuki Burgman. Sort of a modern PC800.

120 - 180 mpd? Where do you work, Atlanta? I hope you meant "per week!"

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to be clear...

To be clear, I'm talking about 60-90 miles each way with a 6-8 hours break.

I'm in PA so lane splitting is illegal.

As for the size of the Hyper I'm 6'2 220lbs, I'm pretty sure though not positive that i'd be able to mount it feet flat. I actually don't mind the number plates that much on the TT, just would need to find something to put on them... maybe a "Darwin" or "Cthulu" fish :-D

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
120-180 mpd?

I'd recommend a Sprint ST (I know, you are all shocked!) for long distance comfort, great fuel economy, low maintenance and utility (you can hang hard bags and top box on them).
Sport Touring was exactly what I thought when I saw that daily mileage. Yes, you could ride a HyperRetard that far every day, and you could ride a minibike too. But that's not what either one of them is designed for. An ST gives you the protection you need from the elements, the storage you'd like for taking your laptop ect. along, and all the fun you could ask for riding to work every day.

I'll bet after the novelty of riding either of the two bikes you named to work wore off, they'd be staying in the garage a lot. They're just not made to do what you're asking of them.

The Connie 1k, the Strada, the ST, or even the New Improved Concours 14: those are great choices.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Sport Touring was exactly what I thought when I saw that daily mileage. Yes, you could ride a HyperRetard that far every day, and you could ride a minibike too. But that's not what either one of them is designed for. An ST gives you the protection you need from the elements, the storage you'd like for taking your laptop ect. along, and all the fun you could ask for riding to work every day.

I'll bet after the novelty of riding either of the two bikes you named to work wore off, they'd be staying in the garage a lot. They're just not made to do what you're asking of them.

The Connie 1k, the Strada, the ST, or even the New Improved Concours 14: those are great choices.
Yup, horses for courses........Maybe a Buell Uly would work...

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Yup, horses for courses........Maybe a Buell Uly would work...
It would. But, after riding the Strom for 4 months at an average 1k miles a month, I've come to the conclusion that if you don't plan to ride fire roads and trails, the Dual Sport has some compromises that a pure ST bike doesn't have to make. The Strom makes a working ST, but that big front wheel and super high ride do come at a cost for street work.

Thus, I shall test ride the Concours 14 at Daytona...SOMEBODY STOP ME!! :D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would. But, after riding the Strom for 4 months at an average 1k miles a month, I've come to the conclusion that if you don't plan to ride fire roads and trails, the Dual Sport has some compromises that a pure ST bike doesn't have to make. The Strom makes a working ST, but that big front wheel and super high ride do come at a cost for street work.

Thus, I shall test ride the Concours 14 at Daytona...SOMEBODY STOP ME!! :D
Didn't you just sell your Concours? o_O the Dual sport just not doing it for you anymore?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
erm..

At 110. Ohhh-kay.
My thoughts exactly.

I have no interest in in going much over the speed limit for the most part. Unfortanatly the whole ride from Pittsburgh to Morgantown is one big speed trap. I don't know how many times my Fiance was pulled over for going 5 over the limit. We went to court to fight 3 of them, paid two of them. Thats the last two years she was at WVU.

On the happy side, we won all three fights.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It's a great bike, it really is. But at 110 mph it just doesn't feel planted the way I'd like. I'm going to throw a fork brace at it and see if that helps; if not, I may go shopping. It's very preliminary thinking right now.
Your insurance agent doesn't want to hear you- LA LA LA LA LA...........

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.