Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

im considering trading my 82 harley sportster,for a 88 honda super magna.

think this is a bad trade? my harley is alittle too built up for me, so im looking for a slower bike.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
There is nothing about those Magnas that is slow. Quite powerful, indeed.

My friend has one. She originally had a Honda Shadow cruiser, but thought it was too big and heavy (handling). She ended up getting an older Magna and loves it. She is petite, but thinks the power delivery is quite manageable. She does admit the bike will hustle, if you twist the throttle.

It'll be interesting to hear what everyone else has to say.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Liquid hot Magna pours down the mountainside, destroying everything in it's path. Villagers flee before the wave of death, leaving all their worldly possessions behind. The weak and sickly must be left to die, yes, die an excruciating death, as the liquid hot Magna consumes them, inexorably smothering them in molten rock and volcanic gasses. Finally, interminably, the liquid hot Magna reaches the sea...the cooling sea...where this once omnipotent force is quenched, satiated, to become new land, someday fertile land, where motorcycles will someday ride.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a motorcycle named "Magna," but that's just me.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Is this a joke.

Yes, it is a bad trade. The Super Magna was an upgrade of the earlier total POS Magna series. So mechanically the Magna is fairly sound unlike the older ones. However maintenance on Magnas is a total nightmare. Avoid old Magnas like the plague.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Liquid hot Magna pours down the mountainside, destroying everything in it's path. Villagers flee before the wave of death, leaving all their worldly possessions behind. The weak and sickly must be left to die, yes, die an excruciating death, as the liquid hot Magna consumes them, inexorably smothering them in molten rock and volcanic gasses. Finally, interminably, the liquid hot Magna reaches the sea...the cooling sea...where this once omnipotent force is quenched, satiated, to become new land, someday fertile land, where motorcycles will someday ride.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a motorcycle named "Magna," but that's just me.
Impressive........

I'd keep the Sportster, Ironheads gain in value every day while a Magna is, well...a Magna.

Interestingly enough I rode a '84 V65 Sabre for a couple of years when I was broke and as I recall it was anything but slow. Honda built those to compete with the Yami V Max during the '80's horsepower wars. Both are excellent straight line bikes but not a whole lot of good for anything else, plus Honda V Fours melt their voltage regulator/rectifiers and connectors on a fairly regular basis. I'd avoid it like the plague if I were you.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The Super Magna was made for only 2 yrs if I remember. It was a 700cc v4 that (rumored) had 90hp at the crank. Tuners could get up to 105hp without breaking into the motor. It's a shaft drive bike. Make sure that it will stick in 2nd gear if you launch it hard. If it pops out of gear the shift rod is pobably bent (from hard launches-lol). It not a cheap fix.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
The Super Magna was made for only 2 yrs if I remember. It was a 700cc v4 that (rumored) had 90hp at the crank. Tuners could get up to 105hp without breaking into the motor. It's a shaft drive bike. Make sure that it will stick in 2nd gear if you launch it hard. If it pops out of gear the shift rod is pobably bent (from hard launches-lol). It not a cheap fix.
It's not just the shift fork. 1st and 2nd gears are ruined also. Sometimes 3rd gear and another shift fork get hosed too. It costs $500 for just the gears and forks. And that was 3 years ago. 20 hours minimum for engine removal and teardown/rebuild.

If nothing else is wrong.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I used to smoke Magna Cigarettes - IIRC they tasted kinda like a low-buck Camel.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Super Magna Owners Group

Oh. It's not the 1100. Still faster than a Sportster, though.
What a weird site. It's one thing to like your bike. It's another to attribute all sorts of overblown exaggerations of it's worth to it. From their description of the Super Magna I'd think that none of the owners had ever ridden any other bike.

I mean, my Magna was kind of fun when it was running, but it was at best a middle-of-the-road bike. Nothing to get all that excited about. It's certainly not an "incredible machine". Unless you can't believe how difficult it is to do valve adjustments.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
What a weird site. It's one thing to like your bike. It's another to attribute all sorts of overblown exaggerations of it's worth to it. From their description of the Super Magna I'd think that none of the owners had ever ridden any other bike.

I mean, my Magna was kind of fun when it was running, but it was at best a middle-of-the-road bike. Nothing to get all that excited about. It's certainly not an "incredible machine". Unless you can't believe how difficult it is to do valve adjustments.
Well listen to the owners groups of the original VMax. You'd think nothing better was ever invented after it.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I used to smoke Magna Cigarettes - IIRC they tasted kinda like a low-buck Camel.
Ever try those ones you'd make yourself with the little machine? You'd get a can of weed, some filters, and paper tubes, and then line up the stuff in the inserter and fire it into the tube?

Needless to say, you could make some interesting home blends with that gizmo.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Ever try those ones you'd make yourself with the little machine? You'd get a can of weed, some filters, and paper tubes, and then line up the stuff in the inserter and fire it into the tube?

Needless to say, you could make some interesting home blends with that gizmo.
My friends dad used to have one of those when we were kids, he was a 3 pack a day man so he used to crank cigs out by the dozens with it. I used to smoke Drums for awhile, tasted a little better than Bugler and it was good practice rolling.

·
Registered
323 Posts
IIRC this is correct. The original Magnas were 750cc and 1100cc. This was Honda's response to the duty imposed on bikes over 700cc.

A friend of mine had an '87 that I got to borrow sometimes. Fun bike, but he ended up selling it cheap becuase the trans wasn't shifting right and it would cost more to fix than the bike is worth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts