Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mapquest offers an "avoid highways" map filter, but I find that the best way to make it work to a bikers satisfaction is to build certain waypoints in along the way to ensure that you take the most scenic route, so it requires some manual attention for best results. You can also look at satellite imagery of the route to get a birds eye lay of the land in advance of the trip...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well this looks like a good service, I havn't really used it, but like most marketing things that H-D does, it's pretty snazzy. If you can get past the "Two Fists in the Wind" crap.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Great_Roads/great_roads.jsp?locale=en_US

Gotta second the question, if you're in NC, why would you leave? I'm a frustrated rider in South Texas, where the only curves are the Freeway Interchanges.

(sigh...)

~Rob

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Luckily there's a chain of educational supply store here that have a "map world" section. I can get maps of any area. The maps that the US Geological Survey has show the roads. that you won't see on other maps because these maps are smaller scale. These maps are being upgraded by means of satellite mapping. You can get maps for any area of the USA you want by going to http://topomaps.usgs.gov/.

Remember, a paper map will always work and can't be rendered useless by dropping it or by a dead battery.

·
Registered
730 Posts
When I was in NC I used DeLorme's Gazeeter, which can be found in most bookstores. It's the same size and thickness of a road atlas, but only focuses on one state. Once you use it a few times for exploring, you'll get a good feel for what roads on the maps are good in real life.

They make them for every state and are only a few bucks (5 or 8) so over time you could build quite a collection. Don't waste your time on Illinois, though. It looks like they just bound grid paper together and threw some rivers on. Sigh.

I second the point to advrider.com. There are some serious GPS gurus over there, and could really help you out, particluarly if you're into unimproved and gravel roads. It's a great community site (and the only one I frequest other than here). I post under Savoir-Faire.

--The Fox

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
1) Get an Rand-McNally U.S. road atlas at Wal-Mart for five-ten bucks.

2) Tear out all of the pages so you can just pack the state you need.

3) Look for the roads with green dots along them (scenic). Look for the roads that have the squiggliest lines (twisty).

4) If you're concentrating on just one state, get a DeLorme for that state. And a big tankbag.

5) Real men use maps and a compass. Pussies use Mapquest and GPS.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
For my last trip, I just got on the Interstate long enough to get to a Visitor's Center (usually the first exit) and "collect" one of each state's free maps. MO, AR, and TN is good, NC is good, the GA map is surprisingly crappy and only marginally accurate, FL map was exceptional.

Worth far more than what I paid, all of them.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I got the nor cal and central cal mad maps free from going to races and rallies. They are really good for loops and suggestions. I like how they list the gas stations, good info.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Connecticut has (or at least used to have) a nice motorcycle-specific state map.

Often a state's website will send a map if you send for tourist info. I prefer the known quantity of a Rand-McNally.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Have you tried Googling "best motorcycle roads in ____"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
>

Don't bother with any of the generic maps. Not very motorcycle oriented. The Delorme Atlas & Gazetteers are great. I've used them extensively. They're 99% accurate, and the detail is is very high. The pages are oversize and back cover is a map of the state, with a grid laid over it with 1" square boxes. Each box is a FULL page in the book. THAT'S detail.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.