Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About twice a year my wife, at dinner, says she'd like to go riding with me again. That happens way more often than..."well go ahead and get that bike if you want it".

That's where the phrase, "It's the thought that counts", comes from.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh,I see,that,s why I kept my mouth shut....But I swear this is true.Today I finished giving a breathing test to a patient and he noticed my Indian motorcyle calendar with beautiful models,and says to me"want to see my bike?"He,s about 5ft5 [around my height] and leads me out to a honda goldwing trike in yellow.I sit on it,and I had to admit it was nice.So he says "you can borrow it if you like!"I look at him[naturally my gaydar goes up,no offense to anyone]And I tell him ,just a shot around the yard here.Did it,explained to him what my wife said.He pulls out a card and tells me "if you decide to go threewheels, call me,I have connections".Looked at the card, and the guy is a Pastor of a local church!Needless to say I was tonguetied and he took off blazing out the yard.I just wonder what god was thinking!?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Hey, this is "Motorcycle.com" not "Trike.com".

But I digress; Yes, in fact my "first" gasoline powered contraption was in fact, a trike.

An aluminum framed "big" tricycle liberated from a local pre-school, turned upside-down with a 1 & 1/2 hp. Briggs mounted on a woden platform held to the frame with u-bolts.

I still have the scars...

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I rode (drove?) a '60 something Servicar back in the day. 45 motor and hand shift, pretty good restoration. Belonged to a one-legged dentist as I recall. I went from Owens Beach at Pt. Defiance Park which is a hangout in the summer for those familiar with the area, around the 5 mile loop drive and back again. It was pretty fun for a 'round town bike.

If I wanted to go the three-wheeler route I'd get a Ural sidecar rig with the PTO to the sidecar wheel. Put a set of knobbies on that and go hit some logging roads for the day, or just ride it around secondary roads. If I couldn't ride a regular bike for some reason I'd get one in a minute.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have owned a sidecar rigs for 15 years plus and always enjoy the ride. Not a trike, but three wheels makes sure you never fail down at an intersection because you "forgot" to put your feet down.

It is kinda like driving a circus wagon around, people wave smile and point. You get attention like nothing I have ever been on.

Want to ***** off the $30,000.00 chopper crowd, ride in on one of these. They become invisible when I pull in with my 10 year old Ural with a sidecar...he he!

Big fun and cheap!

You should try it!

Aloha-Terry

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would never owe one of them horrible things.

As a motorcycle mechanic I'm forced to work on them once in a while (mainly Gold Wing conversions) They are the most evil handling things out there, the steering geometry was never intended for that kind of use, so it is extremely heavy and unforgiving, they are a highside looking for a place to kill you, after riding one of those things you understand why three wheelers (ATC's) were outlawed in the USA. If your reason to ride something like that has to do with your inability to handle a 2 wheeler, you are better off with a properly set up sidecar rig.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 1997 Suzuki Savage that I mounted a Velorex sidecar to. I used it to haul my wife and 2 younger daughters. It was a ball. It took a while to get the hang of it but it was a good way to share rides with my family. I recommend it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Go to www.tricycle.com

If it has three wheels, you can't lean through corners.

If you can't lean through the corners, it's not a motorcycle. It's a car with no weather protection that's missing a front wheel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ride? Hell, I teach the course. Sidecar/Trike Education Program for Evergreen Safety Council. I didn't think too much about the three wheelers at first, but have grown to appreciate the value for some of having the standard Trike configuration. I like sidecars and am putting one together using my '82 GS1100E as the main unit.

I do have to say that all those who denigrate the 3 wheelers don't understand it isn't ALL about 2 wheeling. Look at what happened with recreational off-roading (dirt bikes) and how the quads now make up over 70% of the registered off vehicles. There is alot more demand for stability (low-speed) than some think.

I know a really cool unit is coming out, and may surprise alot of folks. I'll be looking to add it to the collection when its available

·
Registered
277 Posts
Trikes are big here in the UK. Two suggestions for you:

1. There's a company here who make a bolt-on trike back end for your bike and reckon you can swap from bike to trike or back again in a morning. It's made to fit your exact machine, it's not a one-size-fits-all piece of scrap, so if you wanted to hedge your bets you could give it a go and terrify your neighbours from time to time.

2. Buy a Russian sidecar combination, still made and equipping half the third world's armies. These things have the sidecar wheel DRIVEN by the engine through a shaft coming off the rear gearcase (the bike is also a shaftie, like a BMW or Guzzi) , making it a 3x2, if you see what I mean, and huge fun off-road. They usually come with the machine-gun mounts on the sidecar, painted green with a big red star on. Now that really will terrify your neighbours...

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
+1 for the ambush handling. Trikes are evil.

I've never been able to figure out the folks who buy a 'Wing, convert it to a Trike, and then tow a trailer.

IMHO, save your money and buy a used S2000 or MX-5. Keep the bike.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.