Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so who's your money on for the 2002 GP season? 2 stroke or 4? Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Aprilia, or Sauber (they are competing in GP, right?)

I say Mad Max Biaggi on the Yamaha. Not that it will improve his disposition. . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not a big Rossi fan but the kid has tallent. I think he's got a pretty good chance of making it a double.

Max still thinks he's on a 250 so it should be interesting to see him on the 4-stroke.

Kenny Jr.? Love to see him win but I don't know that Suzuki has their act together to stomp the superpowers of Honda or Yamaha.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Follow the money...

Right to Big Red. At this level, it's almost all about money...and if Soichiro Honda was still alive, I would say FOR SURE that Honda will dominate...but now there's a little room for doubt.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Alright, alright...

I will finally, at long last, concede that Aprilia makes a dandy motorcycle, with perfectly fine engineering.....but the above post notwithstanding, does every bike they make have to be so darn ugly? They are giving the Kwaks a serious run for their money on ugly stick beatings.....The Yamaha M1 is, hands-down, the sweetest looking bike I have ever seen.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow, this coming season is getting better and better already. At least the technological aspect any ways. I hope the FIM continues to let the manufacturers have more leeway (engine configuration, etc.) than the FIA does with F1. Maybe the 2 strokes won't do as well as I've been predicting, but I'm still not making any bets. Not only will it be interesting to see what engine type (4 stroke vs. 2 stroke) will be more competetive, but also engine architecture. I think if I were to build a GP bike, I might go with a triple like Aprilia. Anyone hear anything more about the Ducati GP rumors?

·
Registered
180 Posts
An inline triple? A great idea, but, man, is this gonna' piss off Triumph! Especially when Aprilia decides to build a streetbike based on the GP1 machine, to the detriment of the Triumph Daytona. Let this serve as a wake-up call for the boys at Meridien (sic?). It's not enough to be different, you gotta' do it better. Or something like that.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Triumph can deal...

I think an inline triple streetbike it would be great for Aprilia. Reviewers seem to love the current 1000cc V-Twin models they have (though they're still very rare on the street), and they've secured a reputation as very reliable and affordable for an Italian marque, so perhaps it's time that they up the production rate and diversify their product?

My mantra: the more competition, the better...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow! Out of the blue, another GP1 contender. It should be an awesome season. I can't wait for the next iteration of Superbike 2001 (PC game) with all these new bikes because I know I will never get to ride any of them... I still like the Honda the best, it looks smaller than a 125!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does FIM have the regulations for this class posted online somewhere, and how much freedom is allowed with regards to things like ABS brakes and the all-but-photographed traction control system that Aprilia is apparently going to use?

On top of that, though, it's terrific to see such a decisive European factory effort, even though I'm still thinking Yamaha will have the advantage...at first.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree

I really like the smooth flowing curves of the fairing and tank along with the sharp angles and lines of the frame and swingarm. Seems to come together perfectly. The color scheme's nice as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: What about the timing?

If it's is like F1 valve trains (which they reckon it is) then the valve is opened conventionally via a cam. The pnuematic part is the closing, that way the cloing pressure can be varied to suit the engine speed - less force at low speed, more at high speed. This means your not wasting energy on overcoming internal forces that are not required all the time.

And the F1 guys still have a variation on the spring theme, though in it's selve it's only usefull at very low speed. They need it or the valves would all be open when you start the thing - no bang.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well.....

I'll agree say that I think all the GP bikes are georgous (honda?? ahem..) but something about this bike just puts it over the top. The sculpted tank alone reminds me af what the hand formed alloy tanks of the 50's and 60's would have evolved into. I sure hope it runs as good as it looks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Big Shake Coming

Ok, so next season should be all about proving that 4 strokes (with a massive displacement advantage) can be as fast as the 2 strokes. From there, it'll be about finding out which engine configurations work best. I don't see how you can make more than a guess at who'll win. No one knows what is going to happen at all.

Is this a great time for motorcycles or what?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Doug Chandler or Regis Laconi

Regis Laconi Probably. He is a much better racer on dunlops. He had been great in his first few races with Red Bull on Dunlops and then they went with Mich and he didn't do so well. Since Aprillia is sticking with the Lops I think it will be Regis Laconi or Doug Chandler.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.