Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo!!!!!!! First post!!!! Good idea, ugly execution. I like these kinds of bikes but I think the manufactures are going the wrong direction with the styling. Both the Aprilia and Suzuki's new DL 1000 have very futuristic styling. When I think of adventure touring bikes I think of BMW's GS with brush guards on the lights, aluminum hand guards, and a big gnarly set of aluminum bags. Not cateye headlights and swoopy bodywork. I want somthing that looks like a tank, not a sportbike. Just my opinion...................

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oooh, I like it, it's cool looking. I'll have to do some research and decide whether to add it to my short list, but my initial impression is favorable.

I wonder if upgrading the forks springs to Progressives will do the same magic for the front suspension, that it has done for other bikes I've owned? If so that may be a very cheap and easy thing to fix, I think the last set of Progressives I bought cost all of $57 and took hardly any time to swap out. :)

Anyone have a guess as to how reliable this bike will be? What kind of parts availability will riders have in out of the way adventure touring locales? Have we heard what the price tag will be?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Looks different and pretty neat. Aprilia at least has the guts to take chances to bring on something different with styling and function. Remember to most people different is ALWAYS ugly, because most people fear change. Looks like Aprilia AND change are good things to me. Maybe they can light a fire under some other corporate a$$es to try something else for a change.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think I'll stick with the Kawazuki Strom, or was that "Storm"? More power, less price, gotta love that TL engine and did I say more power? Besides, I like Japanese food better than Italian. That is unless we're talk'n pizza!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
More V-Strom amusement

I know this is way off topic, but has anyone seen the TV ad for some anti-telemarketing doohickey?

The guy answers the phone: "Hello?"

Telemarketer girl: "Mr. Storm?"

Guy (rolls eyes) "It's Strom"

I was cracking up.

--Foxy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Aprilla raising eyebrows

Although I do NOT like this bike, I do have to say that Aprilla is producing some great machines. One of my personal favorite bikes out there (Jap, Itallian, American) is the new Falco. The 2002 Falco has a full fairing but designed in such a way that allows (almost) full view of the engine. From what I have read the Falco is dead center between a full-on race rep and a standard. Basically a comfortable race rep. Twin spar aluminum frame with a big meaty V-Twin and more cornering clearance than your ZRX's,FZR's, and Bandit's. If I could only afford to shell out the 12 grand it would cost to buy one....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Raising eyebrows -equal opportunity offensivenes

How bout leveling the field here and not only offending the Japanese people.

Make that Jap, ***, and [fill in your favorite insulting name for Americans: Infidel, Gaijin, Yankee, ...]

·
Registered
337 Posts
I first saw the Nord in the beautiful sunlight of Laguna Seca. It looked great (in that copper/red color Aprilia has) sitting on the grass near the Futuras. Super comfy. Typically well manufactured. I really wanted one.

Then I saw the dyno charts. Freaking pathetic. Don't give me any "tuned for low end grunt" BS, because it doesn't have that either. Compare the dyno for the Nord with that for the Futura. The Futura has a better low end, a better mid range and 20 more on top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't wait to see the test of the V-Strom. We're getting enough adventure bikes to do some comparos. How long will it be before Honda brings back an updated Transalp?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah, but the Nord is more likely to make it to 100,000 miles without a major failure than the Mille or even the Futura is. If you think about it, the hp/liter statistics for a Goldwing are much lower than that of a VFR or CBR, right?

·
Registered
143 Posts
An article in Motorcyclist quoted Suzuki as saying that they would not offer factory hard bags. Rather, they hoped that the aftermarket will step in. I wonder if they will do something similar to kawisaki who offers givi bags for the ZR-7 through their accessory catelog. I can't imagine a manufacturer's not offering bags with this type of bike. I don't believe I have ever seen a BMW 1100/1150 GS, or even a funduro, without bags. I've never seen a Tiger on the road, so I cannot speak to that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: Aprilla raising eyebrows

Where can one take a look at the 2002 Falco? I went to the Aprilia site but I think they only had the 2001 images on display.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts