Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
A Huge Mistake!!

First of all, I think it is a mistake for Aprilia to subcontract their WSB effort for GP 1. They did very well last year in Superbike, and if they concentrated their efforts there -- where they already know how to win -- they just might walk away with the whole thing next year.

Second, how can FGC Corse "enjoy the full support of the Aprilia racing department" when those guys are going to be busy with the GP1 effort?

And third, in GP1, they're going up against Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki, and a full roster of world champions like Rossi, Roberts, and Biaggi. I think they're going to have their hindquarters handed to them on a plate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: A Huge Mistake... NOT!!!

First of all.... WSB will be even more of a second tier racing division than it ever was now that GP! has gone 4 Stroke. So why bother with it. Aprilia has cut it's teeth in racing and specifically GP. Their success has been built on it. If they let it go, they'd be giving up on the stratagy that got them to where they are today.

Second of all... who gives a crap. ALL the action worth watching next year will be in GP1. I can't believe that Haga isn't in GP1 on a 4 stroke where he's comfortable and likely competitive. So he'll probably win WSB... at his level of riding and the depleted level of WSB... big deal...

And third... So what!! They've done pretty damm well against them so far! Why turn and hide now! Will they win the title? Probably not. It would take Rossi to do that. But I bet they win enough to build on and more importantly, continue to build fans and sell bikes!

Go Aprilia!!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

Just a question: I know Rossi is good on a 2-stroke, but how good is he on a 4-stroke? They are completely different bikes to ride. He is an excellent rider, but most, if not all of his experience is on two-strokes.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Rossi has done well in the Suzuka endurance races on the RC-51. He doesn't seem to find the transition all that difficult, and that is with the heavy engine braking of a V-twin. I don't think his learning curve will be that steep.

·
Registered
585 Posts
No Repeat for Rossi

I think with the way that Honda Builds 2strokes, which is so much better than everyone else, that the best 2 stroke bike in the standings should be a honda. The Performance gap closes when you talk about 4 stroke bikes. The other manufacturers have almost just as much ability when it comes to the hardware. The rider, now that's where honda's pocket's come into play. I feel that the series will be more of a toss up this year, but Roberts, Checa, Katoh, and Rossi will be up front. If Suzuki has the Engine dialed in, Roberts will be hard to beat. In the end, I think that Roberts may be a better rider than Rossi.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What about Corser?

Will Corser be riding a satellite Aprilia team using Dunlops as rumored by some websites or has he joined different team for '02?

Is he even racing SBK in '02? Can't find an official or accurate news concerning Corser's '02 intentions.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Haga comfortable... NOT!!!

you make it sound like a WSB powerband and a 4stroke GP1 powerband would be the same - NOT! If he couldn't hang with a ferocious 2stroke, what makes you think he can hang with a ferocious 4stroke?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: A Huge Mistake!!

Ummm I bet they kick tail in GP1. They contracted their powertrain from Rotax last time and rocked the world. This time it's Cosworth's decades of F1 technology jammed into a bike. Look out Honda and Yamaha. I can't wait to see Ducati's oval piston twin.. I'm also waiting for beryllium to rear it's ugly head in GP racing. If I'm correct I don't believe exotic materials are banned. It's going to be 1980's F1 freewheeling technology fest mixed with some of today's wicked mechanicals, air valves and what not. Bring it on!

·
Registered
43 Posts

Which shows that you haven't read the rules for MotoGP - no oval pistons allowed and no exotic materials in the engine are very specifically noted there. So no beryllium and no rumoured oval piston Ducati.
Don't believe any rumours you read in MCN...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: What about Corser?

Corser is quoted in this weeks AMCN as trying to get the funding together for the team - he will get the same machines and support as the other works team if this comes off according to Aprilia.

·
Registered
35 Posts

cant you see that this is the first step in consolidating the wsb and motogp into one very entertaining series?to bad the ama doesnt have the same kind of forward thinking,ama roadracing is all but dead and i will miss the talented riders but the organization will not be missed at all.i plan to support f-usa and wera this season and the ama can take a flying leap!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: No Repeat for Rossi

i like krjr alot but i think this is your patriotism getting the better of you(which is not a bad thing)rossi is clearly the man to beat out there and having the honda juggernaut behind him doesnt hurt either

·
Registered
146 Posts

Yes, they have done very, very well in their short time in WSB - matching the performance of Ducati who have been doing it for over a decade. They obviously know four-stroke tech.

However, dont forget that Aprilia have been more than matching it with Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki in GP's for years - in fact winning multiple 125cc and 250cc championships with different riders in recent years. And they got better results with their twins in the 500's than Honda did. They aren't just copy-cats either, with plenty of unique technology.

I think it is fantastic that a smaller, apparently passionate company can do so well. They seem to be able to go well at whatever they have a go at.

Wouldn't it feel good to beat the big boys?!

Cheers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: SPIN is RIGHT!

Nope - the rules were updated in August to contain :

No Oval pistons

Engine block and heads must be made of Aluminium Alloy.

It was done to stop the bikes costs getting completely out of hand.

The rules you're quoting were the preliminary ones - check the FIM web site.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: Haga comfortable... NOT!!!

On Haga's first GP wildcard race, he scored a 3rd. His first time racing a 500gp bike. I think he can handle it, but racers say Michelin tires are totally different now. Look at Simon Crafar, and how fast he was on Dunlops (regis laconi too) and when they all switched to michelin, it was a different story. Remember that year Haga raced the R7 on Michelins. He crashed almost every two to three races. When he went back to Dunlops, he almost won the championship.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: No Repeat for Rossi

Roberts Bike is clearly slower than all the others. But he won the c-ship on the damn thing, but get's beat by good riders on superb bikes and everyone thinks he is washed up. Let's wait and see.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.