Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did anyone else notice the problem here? A week or so back, we heard how the Big G spanked all other big bore fwoars due to its massive power advantage (about 15 hp). Now we are to believe that the Mille R gives up 15 hp or so and goes faster than the R1 on the same roads.

Before you go telling me that the same thing happens in racing, please remember that in WSB, the twins make MORE power than the fours. Also note that in club racing, Ducs and Milles get soundly whipped by R6's.

So, guys, what makes both the Mille and the G1K faster than the R1 on a twisty road?

·
Registered
337 Posts
It is often stated that twins (and thumpers in the dirt world) are deceptive. They seem to be going slow but are really going fast. I gather the Mille R was very much that sort of machine.

An interesting point (for me at any rate) is that I think I prefer bikes that are deceptively slow. If I feel like I'm going fast, but am really going slow, my license is secure but I am having fun.

Anyway, your reply begs another question: was the Big G easier to ride fast or just so damned fast the easy didn't matter?

I hope y'all can do the Open Twins comparo at Fontana so that we can compare laptimes between the tiwns and fours.

Keep on beating the print mags to punch, fellas.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That excuse you have for owning an SUV is insufficient. The Ministry of SUV Approval requires a detailed environmental impact statement as well as an explanation of why you couldn't transport your snow gear with an R1150RT.

Lastly, you must feel guilty every day.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey Robert, good to hear that your Aprillia life is more fun that the Hawkworks life. Nice bikes at any rate. I appreciate the honest candor, very un-mfg-rep like. It is really irritating when a rep disses other machines and extremely refreshing when one says the things you did. Rather than detract from your marque, it elevates the company.

BTW: for the MO'ites out there, Robert produced the famous Hawkworks newsletter for a few years and rode in Lightweight superbike here in Texas for some years. A good guy who provided some good advice to this newbie racer a few times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.