Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Beans, Beans...

T_A_H,

We'll test the Firebolt when Buell has one ready. There has apparently been a delay in getting bikes for some reason. CW just got one specially prepped for an article they were doing last week, and we should have the first production one "by the end of the month" I'm told. So, as soon as we get it, you'll read about it, hear it, and have a chance to flame it or maybe even profess your love for it.

As for the budget stuff, we've got a budget Kawi posting tomorrow (Thursday) and have more stuff like that in the works. We've also been wanting to do a naked 2,3,4 test which should be cool. Also, we'll have an FJR next week, so look for the test of that bike soon thereafter.

Oh, and we'll have a Suzuki V-strom as well here Friday (test pretty soon) and we'll do some sort of "others" test in the (near?) future as well.

Keep up the good feedback guys. Let us know what you want and we'll try to bring it to ya.

Oh, almost forgot, for you cruiser guys, we're getting a CVO Road King soon and have some other cruiser stuff in the works as well as stand-alone tests of a new Indian and something new and different.

·
Registered
254 Posts
De-restricted part deux

Okay, so I sauntered down to the local Aprilia dealership today in good old Marine Layer Del Rey. A salesman looks at me, I say " is this Mille R a 2002?" he points to the id sticker on the frame confirming it is. So I say "do you still have to de-restrict it?", and he says yes and in fact the one he bought just the other day for his own use was going to be power-upped that lunch break. Hmmm...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Thanks for the graphs.

I agree with that. The dyno is one of the best objective tests we can get. We should see one with every bike tested.

BTW, what's up with the massive hole in the torque/hp curve between 5k and 7k? The sharp drop at the top of the band is the restrictive stock pipe, easily fixed with an aftermarket can, but that midrange hole is pretty nasty! Think the chip swap will fix that?

Will we see the before/after dyno results when you do the pipe & chip swap?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mille Std vs R Comparo

This has been asked but not quite answered:

How about a Mille Vs Mille R comparo?

In fact, the compero's I'd like see are:

Mille R vs 998 (standard)

Mille vs RC51

Mille vs Mille R

The first 2 are based on similar price range.

The last one will bridge the gap nicely and show what the price difference is really about.

BTW, I own a brand new '01 Mille R. If you are lucky, you can still find one of these for a price only slightly higher than a '02 Mille. Mine was $17K out the door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Power in the right places?

Abe,

I think he means:

"streetbikes twins vs fours"

is sorta like

"GP 2 stroke vs 4 stroke"

twins deliver power different that fours

compares to

2 stroke delivers power differently than 4 stroke.

At least this is how I read it.

I really don't know how 2-stroke power delivery compares to 4-stroke. Perhaps it is simmilar because 2 stroke deliver twice as many power strokes than 2 stroke, same as fours vs twins...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: De-restricted part deux

From what I understand, you still need to derestrict the '02's but unfortunatly, you can't do it by simply cutting a wire etc' you need to get ir re-chiped which is a significant expense. This was one of the factors in my decision to go with a '01 R vs a '02 std. The price would have been almost even with the new chip but the R offered a load of goodies :)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Ive passed you on the freeway before! Do you have a roadcrafter? If not thats what you need. Wear the MTB gear under and just unzip. Stuff it into one of your bags and your done, ten seconds from bike to bike. Well a shoe change is in order and putting the wheels on. I was going to buy an RT but my legs were too long for the faring. Just like on the honda ST my knee's went into the farings... My RS fits like a glove but granted it doesnt have as good of a rack on it. More of a joke really...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting...

Does this also mean that it is better to exit a turn in a higher gear at a lower RPM than in a lower gear with a higher RPM? Assuming of course that torque is available at the lower RPM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: De-restricted part deux

Hey guys, please make sure the Mille R is de-restricted before the track test. For the '02, that requires a restrictor to be removed from the exhaust, air inlet restrictors to be removed from the fresh air ducts going to the airbox, a plate under the air filter to be removed, and a new FI chip to be installed. I'd like to see what it pulls like then. The Road Racing World comparo left it restricted, which doesn't really make much sense.

J-M

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: De-restriction needed?

Hello MO.

Just when I was about to put down the cash and finally buy that 998 duc, I read about the MilleR......Now I am really confused. The same dealer has two MilleRs (one yellow and one that wierd flat black) just sitting there. When is that comparo coming?! I have an itch that really needs scratching.....I was gonna buy this week.........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Question to Robert Pandya Regarding Ram Air

Don't know if Robert is still around to answer this but here goes:

There's a pretty heated discusion on http://www.apriliaforum.com/ regarding wether the Mille has Ram Air or not. It's becoming rather technical but there isn't a clear resolution yet.

It's clear the bike has forward air intakes but the way the air is fed into the air box isn't in classic Ram Air style. I'm simplifying this a bit mainly because I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Bottom line:

Ram Air or no Ram Air?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Re: Question to Robert Pandya Regarding Ram Air

It's not a ram-air intake in the sense of using forced air to "supercharge" The intake. It's a cold air induction to get the coolest possible air into the motor, and to point the intake sound forward while the exhaust sound points backwards. The system may allow for some pressure to build, but not in the same proportion as the system built onto many competitor products.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.